cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ShriHanuman
Level I

Clustering Analysis?

Can I use clustering analysis with continuous variable target? I am using SAS jmp. I tried using continuous variable for hierarchical clustering but the answer returned an error. What am I missing?

Attached is the data set.

Salesprice is my continuous target variable

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clustering Analysis?

1. Select Analyze > Clustering > Hierarchical Cluster.
  2. Select SalesPrice.
  3. Click Y, Columns.
  4. Click OK.

I did not encounter any errors up to this point.

This unsupervised method found eight clusters, each of which with two sub-clusters, as indicated in the dendrogram or the constellation plot.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

1. Select Analyze > Clustering > Hierarchical Cluster.
  2. Select SalesPrice.
  3. Click Y, Columns.
  4. Click OK.

I did not encounter any errors up to this point.

This unsupervised method found eight clusters, each of which with two sub-clusters, as indicated in the dendrogram or the constellation plot.

Capture.JPG

dale_lehman
Level VII

I don't understand this solution.  What is the sense of clustering on a single target variable?  I thought the whole idea of clustering was to find clusters of observations that are "similar" and then perhaps might related to a target variable.  How is clustering on a single target variable any different from looking at a distribution of that variable and seeing if there are any groups?  And, from your solution, what are the X,Y coordinates of the constellation (when there is a single variable being clustered)?