cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Clone a Table

What are some of the ways you guys clone a table?  Is there an easy way to make the tables talk?  Say, changing a value in a cell will update both tables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Clone a Table

The easiest way to do this is using a

Tables==>Subset

and then select to copy All rows and All Columns, and if you want the table linked, then select the Link to original data table box

The script for this would be:

dt = current data table();

dt << Subset( All rows, Selected columns only( 0 ), Link to original data table( 1 ) );

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

The easiest way to do this is using a

Tables==>Subset

and then select to copy All rows and All Columns, and if you want the table linked, then select the Link to original data table box

The script for this would be:

dt = current data table();

dt << Subset( All rows, Selected columns only( 0 ), Link to original data table( 1 ) );

Jim
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

This is it, this is the script that seems to work for my intended purposes.  It's so simple, not sure why I never thought of it before.

ian_jmp
Staff

FYI, for cloning the table 'dt' you can also use 'Eval(dt << getScript)'.

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

This is what I was doing.  Great minds think alike right?

Craige_Hales
Super User

Or if you need a second view of the same data, Window->NewDataView makes a second view, independently scrollable, of the same data.  Updates happen in both views. 

Craige
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

This is a great feature, thanks for replying.  Also a note, 'dt << New Data View' doesn't create a copy of a private table but does make the private table visible.  Which isn't exactly what I was looking for, but answers a problem I've had for awhile and didn't think there was a solution too.