cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Checking data with test limits

Hi Guys,

Is there any way I can check each cell value in a column against the column's test limits and decide if the test has passed or failed? For example if a column has 10 rows of data and if 5 out of the 10 rows fail the test limits for that column, I would like to see a message in a box that says column 'X' failed.

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Checking data with test limits

Any comments anyone?
louv
Staff (Retired)

I would create a new column and use the Formula Editor>Conditional argument and specify there. For instance if your response was "Yield" and Pass > 80% then in that new column I would use the formula editor and conditional argument to say If Yield > 80% then "Pass" otherwise "Fail". JMP will then assess the value in the column you specified and add the appropriate class to the new column that maps back to response.

Thanks for the feedback.

How can I get yield for a column?

The one way I know of is to plot the histogram and look at the Total Outside value for the yield. Is there an easier way to get yield of a column?
louv
Staff (Retired)

I just used the term "Yield" as a surrogate for your response of your column of interest. I assume if you want to categorize your values as "pass" or "fail" that you had a specification you were attempting to meet. You could look at your data in a histogram. You could also use a control chart to see your upper and lower control limits and alarms for your dataset. You also have Tables>Summary and Tables>Tabulate that can be used.

Ok makes sense.

Here is what I am trying now:

I have created a column adjacent to the test column which will be the pass/fail column for that test.

I am trying to add a property to the P/F column as follows:
10, Assign(:Column 50 = 'P'), :Column 50 = 'F')

-->

However this is not working. How can I assign the cell value to a P or an F based on the value of the corresponding cell in the column adjacent to it?
louv
Staff (Retired)

Yes you can. Double click in the column header and click on the column properties pull down menu and choose the column properties>formula. The click the edit formula button.Under the functions choose conditional and you can chose the "if" statement. In the expression box choose the column that you want to characterize by clicking on the left hand side of the dialog box. Once the column is identified then on your keyboard type >= and then in the new box that pops up place the value. Then click in the then clause box and type "Pass" with quotes. The final step is to click in the else box and type "Fail" in quotes.

Message was edited by: Lou V
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Try something like this (Column Test1 is your data, Test2 the test column)

10, Test2 = 1, Test2 = 0 ) ); //assigns 1 if "passed", 0 if "failed", to column Test2
Summarize( A = by( :Test2 ), B = Count( :Test1 ) );
If( B[1] / B[2] > 0.5, // Here 50% is the cut-off value
dlg = Dialog( Text Box( "Column Test1 Failed" ) ),
dlg = Dialog( Text Box( "Column Test1 Passed" ) )
);

-->

Message was edited by: MS

Thanks.

Here is what I am trying now:

Any ideas?