cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
stevecaffrey
Level I

Changing Color Scales in Graph Builder when Using a Data Filter

I'm creating an X-Y plot in Graph Builder and Using a 3rd continuous variable, Z, to create a color map at the X-Y values.  Further in a Data Filter I'm using a 4th variable that is a time based variable to show how the color map changes as a function of that 4th variable.  Using the animation feature is great for showing this.

The problem is that as in the animation JMP apparently defaults to using the entire range of the color variable (Z) to set the scale.  I want the color scale and hence the colors in the X-Y plot to change as the 4th variable goes through it's sequence.  The entire data set (range of Z) covers a large range and so at any particular value of the animation variable, the color map is a solid color.

Is there a way to change the color scale as you step through the values in the data filter?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing Color Scales in Graph Builder when Using a Data Filter

Do you have Lock Scales selected in the Graph Builder options?

Lock Scales.png

Lock Scales applies to both axis scales as well as color gradient scales and will maintain the min/max settings during filter or data table interaction.

stevecaffrey
Level I

No, lock scales is not selected.

Ok, here is the script that I used to test legends and filters using Graph Builder, with JMP 14.  In this example, the legend updates each time the filter changes.

Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");
Graph Builder(
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :height ), Color( :weight ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 14 ) ) ),
	Local Data Filter(
		Add Filter(
			columns( :age ),
			Where( :age == 12 ),
			Display( :age, Size( 160, 90 ), List Display )
		)
	)
);

The next thing that comes to mind is that the data table may contain a column property that specifies gradient limits:

colprop.png

Do you have a sample table with script that you can provide that demonstrates the issue?