cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mringqui
Level III

Center non-modal window on display

Hi, I am trying to find the fastest way to move a window to the center of the users display. 

Modal windows automatically are centered on the screen, so I know that JMP is somehow able to tell where to put a window, but I have only found some relatively slow workarounds to doing this with non-modal windows. Below is the jsl script I am currently using to determine the screen size and center a new window. 

Is there a faster way? Thanks!

win2 = NewWindow("Test Window");
winSize = win2  << GetWindowSize();
win2  << ShowWindow(0);

testwin = NewWindow("test", << ShowWindow(0));
testwin << Maximize Window(1);
dispsize = testwin << Get Window Size;
testwin << CloseWindow();

win2 << MoveWindow(dispsize[1]/2 - winsize[1]/2, dispsize[2]/2 - winsize[2]/2);
win2  << ShowWindow(1);
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Re: Center non-modal window on display

In my experience the <<Get Window Size method is not reliable.  The issue is that <<Get Window Size does not return physical pixels but logical pixels (affected by Windows display scaling), while <<Move Window( x, y ) uses physical pixels.  Also, JMP in general and <<Get Window Size in specific does not update when the Windows display scaling changes (if a user starts JMP on a laptop and later hooks up a monitor, for instance).

I run the following PowerShell script from JMP to get the actual screen resolution and use this info to place windows as appropriate (you'll have to launch powershell with -ExecutionPolicy Bypass:

Add-Type @"
using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
public class PInvoke {
    [DllImport("user32.dll")] public static extern IntPtr GetDC(IntPtr hwnd);
    [DllImport("gdi32.dll")] public static extern int GetDeviceCaps(IntPtr hdc, int nIndex);
}
"@
$hdc = [PInvoke]::GetDC([IntPtr]::Zero)
[PInvoke]::GetDeviceCaps($hdc, 118) # width
[PInvoke]::GetDeviceCaps($hdc, 117) # height

Jordan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Your method is the method I normally use.

Jim
ErraticAttack
Level VI

In my experience the <<Get Window Size method is not reliable.  The issue is that <<Get Window Size does not return physical pixels but logical pixels (affected by Windows display scaling), while <<Move Window( x, y ) uses physical pixels.  Also, JMP in general and <<Get Window Size in specific does not update when the Windows display scaling changes (if a user starts JMP on a laptop and later hooks up a monitor, for instance).

I run the following PowerShell script from JMP to get the actual screen resolution and use this info to place windows as appropriate (you'll have to launch powershell with -ExecutionPolicy Bypass:

Add-Type @"
using System;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
public class PInvoke {
    [DllImport("user32.dll")] public static extern IntPtr GetDC(IntPtr hwnd);
    [DllImport("gdi32.dll")] public static extern int GetDeviceCaps(IntPtr hdc, int nIndex);
}
"@
$hdc = [PInvoke]::GetDC([IntPtr]::Zero)
[PInvoke]::GetDeviceCaps($hdc, 118) # width
[PInvoke]::GetDeviceCaps($hdc, 117) # height

Jordan
mringqui
Level III

This is the kind of hocus pocus I was looking for haha. Thanks Jim and Jordan! I will try out both options and see which is faster and/or more reliable