cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lenny
Level II

Capturing the log file during a non interactive JMP script session

Hi there,

I Know this was asked before but the solution mentioned didn't work for me. I want to write to the log and save the output during a specific portion of my script.

The log capture() works when I have JMP11 open but when I run the jsl as a stand alone non interactive session I get no output.

I believe the problem is that there is no log file started initally when the JMP thread starts in the background, so I was wondering if you can open the log window with some jsl??

OR is there a more robust way to capture the log file.

FYI.. the reason I want the log file output is because i am constructing html tables from data tables so I wanted an automated

script rather than me having to open JMP and run my script.

Any suggestions greatly appreciate,

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Capturing the log file during a non interactive JMP script session

Are you referring to this Re: Can I view the log of an executable (\!) JSL? If not look check it out.

You can open the log and see if it's open with these commands:

Open Log();

Show( Is Log Open() );

But, I think you are missing something when you say:  "The log capture() works when I have JMP11 open but when I run the jsl as a stand alone non interactive session I get no output."  In order for JSL to run JMP has to open.  JSL only runs through jmp.exe which running from a command prompt or anywhere will open JMP.

lenny
Level II

That is the post I am referring to thanks.

That code snippet you suggested will not work as seen below open log doesn't appear to be a valid command.

open log();

show(is log open());

When I open a JMP session and open my script and then run it, the capture log() works in fact I was originally using the save log() command when I ran the script manually, before I started looking at an automated solution.

You are correct when you say JMP has to open but it opens up as a process thread in the background and you cant actually see it, this is why I believe when it opens the log doesn't automatically open with that process.

Thank you for your reply.

txnelson
Super User

Try setting the BatchInteractive() function.  This may solve your issue.

BatchInteractive(0); or BatchInteractive(1);

Jim
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

I'm interested in how you're accomplishing this:

"You are correct when you say JMP has to open but it opens up as a process thread in the background"

What operating system are you using?

There are many ways to run an automated script that will actually open JMP, for example, through a .bat file.  Will this not work either?

Craige_Hales
Super User

Not sure this will do it, but worth a try...in the windows-specific prefs, or submit (in a *previous* run either way, of course)

Preferences(Log Open Strategy( "Startup" ))

Alternatively, if you are building HTML in the log window, consider building it in a JSL string instead, then using saveTextFile to save the string.

What approach are you using to start JMP? 

Craige

Craige

Craige,

I like your suggestion about using a JSL string and saveTextFile. I might update Export Data Table to HTML​ to do this.

Update: Export Data Table to HTML​ is now updated to work this way.