cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rleeper
Level III

Can not open excel file

I have a folder with dozens of excel files, all of them are 2010, all were made from the same template file.  However, on some of them I get the following error when I try to open them in my script

"There was an error opening the file in the Excel Wizard. Files older than Excel 97 might fail to open. Using the Open All Sheets preference should work in this case.{320}"

If I try to open the offending file using the JMP menu> file> open, nothing happens, no error, but the file does not open nor does the Excel import wizard start.  I have tried changing my preferences to Open All Sheets and Select Individual Worksheets with no effect.

I have reviewed the properties of the files and compared them to the ones that do open, there are no differences.

I have compared the working vs not working files in Excel as far as I can tell there are no differences other than the ones I can not open are larger in size, (6,000kb) seems to be the limit of what I can open.

Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can not open excel file

This error can be caused by someone else having the Excel file open when attempting to open it in JMP.  Making sure others have closed the file will alleviate the problem.

Duane Hayes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Please contact JMP Technical Support.  They will be happy to work with you on this.  If you are able to furnish one of the failing files, we would be happy to look at it.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

This error can be caused by someone else having the Excel file open when attempting to open it in JMP.  Making sure others have closed the file will alleviate the problem.

Duane Hayes