cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.

Calculating average of zonal data in contour map

Hi Guys,

I have this contour map which is divided into several square zones (4x4). I wanted to calculate the average of all the data points in all the zones (e.g. say Average of Z1 = , Average of Z2 = , )on the contour map. The number of points in a zone varies at the edge of the circular countor map.
Is there an easier way of doing this other than manually selecting data points from each zone, labeling them into a different column (where it assigns a 1 or a 0) and then take the average?
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Calculating average of zonal data in contour map

Don't know why it didn't take all my feedback.

Anyway, I went on the contour map, and used Customize and added a script and then entered the following:

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Well, that formula was just an conceptual example. To get it in the data table you can manually add a new nominal column "Zone" and chose "Formula" under "Column Properties" enter your code (only the part to the right of the equal sign).

Remember that your "X" and "Y" must refer to other columns and if you paste your formula you must use :X and :Y, otherwise JMP may think they're parameters rather than columns. Alternatively you can use the formula editor but for this quite complicated formula it is easier to type it in a script window and copy and paste to the column formula.

You may also of course do it all by scripting, i-e create a column and use the "For each Row" command to fill the column with your zone labels.

Ok that idea worked. Still a little tedious but I will try and automate it.

Thanks for your help and patience.