cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Calculating area between two spline fits (bivariate)

I have used fit spline of the bivariate platform to parameterize fluorometric spectral curves and saved the prediction formula for my samples as well as blanks. I want to estimate the area under the peak, or more precisely, the area between the curves of the sample and the blank within a specified wavelength interval.

I could certainly do this in matlab with some effort, but it would be neat keep to the entire workflow within JMP. I think my approach would involve summing up slices which geometry is determined by the spline prediction formula matrix. However I am not sure how to interpret and use the prediction formula.

Any ideas that may lead me in the right direction on how to tackle this problem using JMP/JSL? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Calculating area between two spline fits (bivariate)

From the 8.0.1 Stat and Graph Guide:

"The cubic spline method uses a set of third-degree polynomials spliced together such that the resulting curve is continuous and smooth at the splices (knot points). The estimation is done by minimizing an objective function that is a combination of the sum of squares error and a penalty for curvature integrated over the curve extent. See the paper by Reinsch (1967) or the text by Eubank (1988) for a description of this method."

When you fit a spline in Fit Y by X there is a red triangle pull down menu with an item to Save Coefficients. This action creates a new table with columns X, A, B, C, D. Column X contains the unique X values from the data in ascending sort order. The other 4 columns are the coefficients of the third-degree polynomial used in an interval starting with the value of X for the same row up to the value of X for the next row. If the value for X in the same row is X1 then the polynomial for the interval is:

A + B*(X-X1) + C*(X-X1)^2 + D*(X-X1)^3

which is used for X up to X2, the next "knot". To find the exact area under this curve between x1 and x2, simply integrate this polynomial from X1 to X2 to get:

A*(X2-X1) + (B*(X2-X1)^2)/2 + (C*(X2-X1)^3)/3 + (D*(X2-X1)^4)/4

You need to make a new column called Area Slice and put in this formula. In the JMP formula, use X for X1 and Lag(X,-1) for X2. Then you will have a column of Area Slices. You can then add all of the area slices to get the total area under the curve from start to finish. You can also make a column of cumulative areas if you want to.

This gives you an exact value, not an approximation, for the area under the spline.

This can probably be scripted but I haven't tried.

To get the area between 2 such curves, simply find the area this way for both and subtract one from the other.

Michael
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Thanks! It to works perfectly and am now trying to do it in JSL. I can post the script here when done, if anyone's interested.

Btw, there is a problem with the cumulative column. If do it manually by adding the formula
If(Row() == 1, :Slice Area, :Cumulative Area[Row() - 1] + :Slice Area[Row()]) to a column "Cumulative Area" it works. However if I do it by scripting using the command << set formula() I get an error "Illegal Reference (Recursion) at row....". The column is created but without the formula.
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Search this forum using: Column Formula Variable or something similar to find an example of how to successfully create a column formula via scripting which references an unknown-in-advance column. I think that will help.
mpb
mpb
Level VII

On JMP 8.0.2 under WinXP, using a sample JMP generated Spline coefficient table when prompted, the following script did work for me without error:
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

This script works, which made wonder why mine did not, as it is supposed to be identical to yours. When l compared them I found a typo in mine. Sorry about the confusion. And thanks for your help! I have a now working script for batch processing my fluorometry data.

The only annoying thing remaining is the Maximize() command that breaks the script if it fails to converge, i.e. find a local maxima. I have not found out how to interact with the error output in JSL (Like "if result==error, then change tolerance and repeat, else Max=result" or similar).

Thanks again!