cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
UberBock
Level III

Calculate moving average

I have a table which has 720 columns of data (plus other columns) and want to create 715 additional columns that have the moving average of the data.  So columns R001,R002,R003,R004,R005 would be averaged to yeild T001 nfor each row in the table.  Then R002,R003,R004,R005,R006 average would yield T002 etc...  I then have a script to graph any selected row by the T data points.  Anjy how I can create a script that I can add to a data table to do this manipulation? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Calculate moving average

Replace the Lag() function with the Col Moving Average() function and you will get what you want
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

It seems as if your data are 90 degrees rotated from what they should be. How many rows of data do you have when you have the 720 columns?  

If you transpose your data, doing what you want will be a simple task, as will the graphing of the results.

Jim
UberBock
Level III

I saw that the script for graphing does transform the data.  It can average and lag to show the correct data for 1 line but with more than 1 it has issues.  I supposed I can subset the needed columns with a primarykey; transform it do the average; rotate back and rejoin to the main table by the key.

txnelson
Super User

Replace the Lag() function with the Col Moving Average() function and you will get what you want
Jim
UberBock
Level III

Thank you that worked.