cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
miguello
Level VI

Bug in how text is rendered in textBox JMP16?

We have updated to JMP 16 and immediately users pointed out some bugs in the output of our scripts.

For instance, consider the script below:

detailsText =
"This is long text that is made dynamically\!nit has some dynamica numeric values\!n"
||"each on of which is important and  \!nneeds to be shown formatted in <b><font color='Red'>RED FONT</font></b>"
|| " which might also by dynamic\!nLike this: <b><font color='" || "Red"
 || "'>" || Char( 6 ) || "</font></b>\!n this here is your value and " || "here is" || " another value: <font color='green'>" || Char( 0 ) || "</font>"
 ;

detailsTB = Text Box( detailsText );

//detailsTB << Set Font( "Agency FB", 12 );
detailsTB << Set Font( "Calibri", 12 );
detailsTB << Markup;
detailsTB << Justify Text( "right" );

w = New Window( "Formatted Text", detailsTB );

//detailsTB << Set Font( "Agency FB", 12 );

it will result in the  window shown below.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 125611.png

But if we uncomment the line that sets a different font (in this case Agency FB), or run this command afterwards, then the text (even though is still present in the textbox, is not rendered like below:

Screenshot 2021-08-04 125658.png

And I'm sure the text is still there: it's just not rendered. 

Screenshot 2021-08-04 130229.png

How do I fix it? If this is a bug - is it known? When will it be fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Bug in how text is rendered in textBox JMP16?

My guess is that the height of text box changes for some reason and last line will be outside of it (as in hidden). There are most likely better ways to handle this changed behaviour but... quick fix could be to use Set N Lines

detailsTB << SetNLines(10)

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

My guess is that the height of text box changes for some reason and last line will be outside of it (as in hidden). There are most likely better ways to handle this changed behaviour but... quick fix could be to use Set N Lines

detailsTB << SetNLines(10)

-Jarmo
miguello
Level VI

Thanks a lot! Simple adding 

"\!n"

did not help - bug's behavior is pretty elaborated and it's hard to pinpoint when it will and will not show last line/several lines. But setting number of lines as you mentioned definitely helped.

ErraticAttack
Level VI

In my experience JMP does not handle fonts properly -- specifically the height of various fonts can be off a bit.  My only solution has been to find fonts that don't give issues and avoid fonts that do give issues (most fonts seem to give issues)

Jordan

Thank you for the report and example - this has been reported and will be fixed in a future release.  The issue appears to be related to line heights - in addition to the suggestion from @jthi you could add a "\!n " on the end to add more vertical space, or break the string up into multiple text boxes.