Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Tyler_Burda
Level II

Bootstrapping takes a long time

Hello,

I am performing a bootstrap on some data created using the mixture distribution function as part of the life distribution to calculate reliability. I am using the bootstrap data to develop confidence intervals for the mixture distribution parameters. The 5 parameters estimated are sigma 1&2, mu 1&2, and portion which is what I am creating the bootstrap for. I am not designating a random seed and left as a '.', I am using fractional weights though with a generated sample size of 2500 as the standard input. The question I have is should this bootstrap normally take 1.5 hours or so? It seems to be pretty long and I was discussing with a coworker that this doesn't seem right and to get my computer checked out as the processing speed may be low. But my computer is fairly new, I have a Dell Precision 7560 with i7 intel processor 2.50GHz and 32GB of RAM, so I am curious if the long time for bootstrapping is typical or if there is something else with JMP I should look into?

Thanks for the help!

14 REPLIES 14
pmroz
Super User

Re: Bootstrapping takes a long time

Took 80 seconds with JMP 17 Pro EA on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine.  11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz, 16GB RAM

mikedriscoll
Level VI

When I hear users describing excessive time to generate reports, I usually suggest to go into File -> preferences -> windows specific, and uncheck 'enable hardware accelerated graphics.' I have no idea if that will help in your case, because I think when users have this issue it applies to many or all platforms, but it is an easy thing to check.  Sounds like you'll know in a few minutes (or a few hours). 

Here's a note on it:

https://www.jmp.com/support/notes/67/990.html

Georg
Level VII

I know that this can make trouble, we had several laptops, where this option checked lead to unresponsive GUI (on windows machines, using JMP16 ...). Unchecking this option made the problem gone. So I resume this is connected to the graphical display (as the option says) and not to the underlying calculation, that here needs the time, and it's complexity is the "problem".

Georg
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Hi Georg, 

I agree with you. I figured I would mention it just in case it was related but at this point I'd say it definitely is not.  The original poster responded in this thread yesterday (but for some reason it is showing up in the middle of page 1) that their run of benchmark took 77 seconds, so that is in the range everyone else's results. 

Tyler_Burda
Level II

Yeah I tried unchecking 'enable hardware accelerated graphics' and the bootstrap still takes the 1.5 hours or so. Thanks for the suggestion though!