cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
paul1
Level I

Blocking in factorial Design

I would like to set up a full factorial 2^4 design with a three level block (48 experiments).

In JMP Pro 13, is there an way to include a blocking variable through DOE>Classical>Screening Design? I see an option  under DOE>Custom Design to add a blocking variable.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Blocking in factorial Design

Hi Paul,

Yes you can set up for a blocking factor in the Screening Platform however you are limited to a block size of 2,4 or 8. Your scenario with three blocks drove me to leverage the flexibility of JMP's custom designer.

Here is a screenshot of the Screening Design Catalog of Designs illustrating the block size choices.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 3.01.40 PM.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
louv
Staff (Retired)

Paul,

I think the Custom Designer gives you what you are after.Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.43.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.40.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.44.59 PM.png

Paul,

Lou has given you good advice, Custom Design will do what you ask. I will attempt to briefly answer WHY you can't get what you want from the screening design platform.

Classic screening designs are orthogonal. That means that even the blocks need to be orthogonal, too. There is no way to divide 16 evenly by 3, so you cannot get an orthogonal block. Remember that at this point in the design creation, JMP does not know that you are going to replicate the design 3 times. That is why all of the block sizes are powers of 2 -- that will keep the design orthogonal. 

There are ways to "trick" the screening design platform into giving you what you want, but as Lou said, Custom Design will do that without any tricks.

Dan Obermiller
paul1
Level I

Hi,

I did end up using Custom Design for this problem. In Lou's answer to an earlier question on Blocking/Confounding the image seemed to show blocking with a screeing design. I am new to JMP but I did not see a way to set up a blocking variable using DOE>Classical>Screening Design, say a 2^4 with 2 blocks of size 8 each. Thanks for your responses.

louv
Staff (Retired)

Hi Paul,

Yes you can set up for a blocking factor in the Screening Platform however you are limited to a block size of 2,4 or 8. Your scenario with three blocks drove me to leverage the flexibility of JMP's custom designer.

Here is a screenshot of the Screening Design Catalog of Designs illustrating the block size choices.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 3.01.40 PM.png