cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SaraGo
Level II

Automatically fill in data from external source

Is there a way to link a JMP database to an external source, and automatically fill in new data in the JMP table as the external source is updated?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Automatically fill in data from external source

Hi Sara,

The short answer is yes, but there are many steps to getting a final solution. You must get access to the database from your IT administrators, and then install an appropriate ODBC driver to access the database.  Once you have that working outside of JMP, the steps are fairly straightforward.  You can form a query in Query Builder, or with the Open Table dialog.  When you get the JMP table the way you like it, there is an Update script created in the table properties by JMP that you can reference.  Take the JSL (script) out of there, and create a standalone file with it.  Then, use something like the Windows Task Scheduler or Mac Automator to run the script everyday.

I gave a talk at a Discovery conference that describes much of this.  You can reference it at Automated Report Creation: From Data Import to Publication ( 2019-EU-TUT-079 ) 

I hope this helps,

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Automatically fill in data from external source

Hi Sara,

The short answer is yes, but there are many steps to getting a final solution. You must get access to the database from your IT administrators, and then install an appropriate ODBC driver to access the database.  Once you have that working outside of JMP, the steps are fairly straightforward.  You can form a query in Query Builder, or with the Open Table dialog.  When you get the JMP table the way you like it, there is an Update script created in the table properties by JMP that you can reference.  Take the JSL (script) out of there, and create a standalone file with it.  Then, use something like the Windows Task Scheduler or Mac Automator to run the script everyday.

I gave a talk at a Discovery conference that describes much of this.  You can reference it at Automated Report Creation: From Data Import to Publication ( 2019-EU-TUT-079 ) 

I hope this helps,

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development