cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Azim
Level I

Auto date range

I have many sets of data, each data even within the sets have it's own date when the data first started and most recent to be uploaded into database table.

For example, we have 5 car companies (sets), each car companies produces many models, and each models have it's own data points. Each model is built on a different time, while some model of certain company already stopped production months ago, thus date range uploaded into database is not fixed.

When doing graph builder, the date is on an x-axis. I then fixed the date column's axis properties to make sure the increment for date is by 1 day. Some set started to have data for the past 5 months, while some only started to have within the last 2 months or few weeks. If I were to fix the column property for the axis, it will then take the overall oldest and most recent date in the database table. By doing this, I will have many blanks in graph builder (as shown in picture).

Azim_0-1725451537787.png

Azim_1-1725452477195.png

Azim_2-1725452513021.png

How do I make sure that what is displayed is only when data started and ends when it is last read? Not based on a specified range of minimum and maximum date? I cannot be doing subset on every group of data and concatenate again as it will not be efficient and script will be outdated and have to be redone when new group from the set is introduced into the database. 

Azim_3-1725452627658.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GregF_JMP
Staff

Re: Auto date range

Hello Azim-
Regarding your question about graphbuilder  "displayed is only when data started and ends when it is last read?"

I am not sure about the structure of your data- but this example shows some of the options.
Graphbuilder will automatically determine the needed range of the X (time) access, based on the span of the data included in that graph pane.   

Sample Data, Three car "model", with random "values" on "dates" in a Tall table.
For graph cosmetics- Dates for information about each "Model" do not need to be on fixed or aligned intervals (sample data made at 2 day, one week, and two week intervals) 

GregF_JMP_0-1725460294080.png

When several Models are included in the same graph Pane- the Date axis will stretch to include all points. From your description this is not desired.

Overlay

GregF_JMP_1-1725460390756.png

Wrap, with levels per row forced to 1, is shown below.   Using Model in "Group Y" would be similar.

GregF_JMP_2-1725460428857.png

But when "Model" is in the "Page" drop box- each graph is independent and will automatically set date span to show relevant data.   If this is easily understandable by viewers, then it seems to answer your question.  Note that time is on different scales, and it may be difficult for viewers to mentally adapt the shape of the profile to the individual timespan as they view several graphs together.

GregF_JMP_3-1725460740945.png

Another option to consider in situations where the Age (or time since model first released) is relevant- is to calculate an Age vs model introduction, and chart against that scale.  This loses the Calander connection to model release date- but Time remains proportional and any trends of models relative to their release date remain viewable. 

GregF_JMP_4-1725461331143.png

GregF_JMP_5-1725461366623.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GregF_JMP
Staff

Re: Auto date range

Hello Azim-
Regarding your question about graphbuilder  "displayed is only when data started and ends when it is last read?"

I am not sure about the structure of your data- but this example shows some of the options.
Graphbuilder will automatically determine the needed range of the X (time) access, based on the span of the data included in that graph pane.   

Sample Data, Three car "model", with random "values" on "dates" in a Tall table.
For graph cosmetics- Dates for information about each "Model" do not need to be on fixed or aligned intervals (sample data made at 2 day, one week, and two week intervals) 

GregF_JMP_0-1725460294080.png

When several Models are included in the same graph Pane- the Date axis will stretch to include all points. From your description this is not desired.

Overlay

GregF_JMP_1-1725460390756.png

Wrap, with levels per row forced to 1, is shown below.   Using Model in "Group Y" would be similar.

GregF_JMP_2-1725460428857.png

But when "Model" is in the "Page" drop box- each graph is independent and will automatically set date span to show relevant data.   If this is easily understandable by viewers, then it seems to answer your question.  Note that time is on different scales, and it may be difficult for viewers to mentally adapt the shape of the profile to the individual timespan as they view several graphs together.

GregF_JMP_3-1725460740945.png

Another option to consider in situations where the Age (or time since model first released) is relevant- is to calculate an Age vs model introduction, and chart against that scale.  This loses the Calander connection to model release date- but Time remains proportional and any trends of models relative to their release date remain viewable. 

GregF_JMP_4-1725461331143.png

GregF_JMP_5-1725461366623.png