cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
twillkickers
Level III

Apply Mathematical formula only on Selected Rows (JSL)

How do I apply a mathmatical formula to selected rows only using JSL? Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apply Mathematical formula only on Selected Rows (JSL)

Here is an example of my interpretation of what you want to do.

Capture.PNG

The last column uses a column formula. The formula implements the conditional computation.

Capture.PNG

Row states are a vital part of how JMP operates. This code is equivalent but without installing a column formula.

Names Default To Here( 1 );

col = Current Data Table() << New Column( "Conditional BMI" );

For Each Row( col[] = If( Selected( Row State( Row() ) ), (703 * :weight) / :height ^ 2 ) );

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

You did not mention if you just want the value or you wanted this to be another column formula. If it is s column formula you need to provide more information.  Here is an exampe with a computation using only 2 of 6 rows.

Names Default to Here(1);

dt = new Table("Test", Add Rows(6), New Column("Values", numeric, continuous, Set Values(J(6,1, Random Integer(1,20))) ) );

mysum = :Values[2]^2 + :Values[4]^2 - 4 * :Values[2]*:Values[4] ;

show(mysum );

txnelson
Super User

Here is an example that shows how to deal exclusively with selected rows

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" );

// pause to show the original data table
wait(5);

// select some rows
dt << select where( :sex == "F" );

For( i = 1, i <= N Rows( dt << get selected rows ), i++,
	dt:age[i] = dt:age[i] - 2
);

dt:weight[dt<<get selected rows] = 100;
Jim

Here is an example of my interpretation of what you want to do.

Capture.PNG

The last column uses a column formula. The formula implements the conditional computation.

Capture.PNG

Row states are a vital part of how JMP operates. This code is equivalent but without installing a column formula.

col = Current Data Table() << New Column( "Conditional BMI" );

For Each Row( col[] = If( Selected( Row State( Row() ) ), (703 * :weight) / :height ^ 2 ) );
MROW
Level I

I have similar situation with a data table. My goal is to convert all of the values in the "Values" column from Fahrenheit to Celsius. The script I am using to do this is:

For Each Row(If(:Unit=="°F", Selected(RowState())=1));
For Each Row(:Value = If(Selected(RowState(Row())), Conversions:Farenheit To Celsius(:Value)));

The script does what I need it to do in terms of the conversion however, all of the values that are not associated with the unit °F are removed. Is there a script that can be added to ignore the unselected columns and ultimately keep the values that are not associated with the unit °F?

MROW_0-1643048379719.png

jthi
Super User

I wouldn't really suggest directly converting the value of Value field because unless you also change the Unit column to Celsius.

You can use set each value with if-statement to replace values in column. In else part "return" same value there is currently. Something like this should work:

:Value << Set Each Value(
	If(:Unit=="°F" /*& Selected()*/,
		Conversions:Farenheit To Celsius(:Value)
	, //else keep value
		:Value 
	);
)

-Jarmo