cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
shaira
Level IV

Any chance that JMP will corrupt or modify a CSV file during text import?

Hi all,

Here's the scenario. There are six CSV files in multiple computers. Each CSV file has same filename and folder with respect to drive C. I also have the IP address of the computers and can connect to these computers. I think this can be done with some combination of loop codes.

My question is this: I am importing the CSV files from the computers which is the main file dump. As a rule, when I deal with these files, I make a copy at my local drive C and combine the files manually. I never "touch" the actual files for the fear of accidentally modifying them. Now, I am making a script. I am going to import the actual file at JMP. Is there any small, negligible chance that JMP will mess up with the CSV dump files? Also, the network computers are using the CSVs files (constantly dumping data to it). Is there any chance that JMP will interfere with the file dump process when it does text import?

Thanks,

Shaira

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Any chance that JMP will corrupt or modify a CSV file during text import?

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  When JMP imports a csv, it is holding the values of the csv in memory in a jmp data table format.  If you save the file, it will default to saving as a .jmp file.  It would be pretty hard to accidentally modify the actual csv file.  You'd have to save over it and specify a .csv file format.

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  When JMP imports a csv, it is holding the values of the csv in memory in a jmp data table format.  If you save the file, it will default to saving as a .jmp file.  It would be pretty hard to accidentally modify the actual csv file.  You'd have to save over it and specify a .csv file format.

-- Cameron Willden
shaira
Level IV

Thanks @cwilden! :)