Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xm
xm
Level II

Adding labels to Graph Builder heat map

After scouring the forums and manuals and clicking all over JMP11 with zero success, I figured I should just ask here before I tear my hair out.

I've created a heat map using Graph Builder, and I'd like to display the actual values for each cell in my heat map. Seems as if this should be straightforward, but nothing's working. I'm no JMP novice, but am I missing something obvious? How can this be done?

I've attached a simple dataset with the script saved to illustrate what I mean. I'd really appreciate some help on this--I've reached the end of my rope!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Adding labels to Graph Builder heat map

While in graph builder try holding down the shift key and display both heat map and points together. I've scripted that to your data table.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
louv
Staff (Retired)

While in graph builder try holding down the shift key and display both heat map and points together. I've scripted that to your data table.

xm
xm
Level II

What kind of sorcery is this???

Seriously, though, thanks, LouV. That worked. I'll be sure to randomly hold down Shift/Alt/Ctrl keys in the future when I'm exploring JMP and at my wit's end.

You can do this by making the markers for all rows " ", the space character, labeling all rows. You need to display the points to get the labels to show on the heatmap, but the points won't actually show since you've got an empty marker set for them. This will make it impossible to see points on any other graphs linked to this table, though.

Run the Graph Builder 3 script in the attached table to see what this looks like.

Cheers,

Brady

xm
xm
Level II

Good workaround, Brady^2. I'll work this into my final script--makes the heatmap look less cluttered. Thank you for the tip!

samir
Level IV

Hi Brady,

Indeed very interesting work around.

I tried it and it works...However I found an issue and may be you can help:

I see that the labels are not centered in their own rectangles. is there a way to do so ?

Please find attached a data table containing a script that illustrates my problem.

Do you also know how to interactively do what your line of code (Points( X, Y, Color( 0 ), Legend( 8 ), Jitter( 0 ) )) does ? I mean specifically setting the color to 0.

Many thanks in advance.