Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Uriheiman
Level I

Adding error bars to Kaplan-Meier curve

Hi guys,

Need some help here: The journal we are submitting is asking us to add error bars to the KM curve and to signify when the SE is higher than 10%. Any ideas? I could only find CI in the KM graphs and nothing seemed relevant. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: Adding error bars to Kaplan-Meier curve

Hi,
Traditionally, the error on survival curves are shown as Confidence Intervals so you may want to check with the publisher if the requirement is truly SE and that CI would not be acceptable. If it is the case, you will need to do some manual work:
1) In the Survival Platform, fit your data as usual and select Save Estimates from the context menu (top red triangle)
2) With the new data table, create a new Graph Builder plot with the Time variable as X, Survival as Y, Group as Overlay, and StdErr as Interval.
3) By default, the Save Estimates generates the curves for each group as well as the Combined curve; you can toggle between those using the Local Filter in GB
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
Traditionally, the error on survival curves are shown as Confidence Intervals so you may want to check with the publisher if the requirement is truly SE and that CI would not be acceptable. If it is the case, you will need to do some manual work:
1) In the Survival Platform, fit your data as usual and select Save Estimates from the context menu (top red triangle)
2) With the new data table, create a new Graph Builder plot with the Time variable as X, Survival as Y, Group as Overlay, and StdErr as Interval.
3) By default, the Save Estimates generates the curves for each group as well as the Combined curve; you can toggle between those using the Local Filter in GB
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Uriheiman
Level I

Perfect solution! i do need to play with it a bit but as far as providing a clear answer - that was what i looked for 

Thank you