Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Connor_K
Level II

Adding New Custom Summary Statistics

Hi,

I am looking to add "custom" statistics to the summary statistics table within the "Analyze" platform, similar to the mock-up below. The list of additional statistics within the customize statistics window does not have what I am looking for so I want a way to add my own calculations. I get the impression that this may not be possible within the Summary Statistics table, so any guidance on how to accomplish this within the "Analyze" platform would be greatly appreciated as it does 95% of what I am looking to do already.

I am new to JMP so apologies for any incorrect terminology. JSL guidance or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

custom_summary_statistics.JPG

Many thanks,

Connor

Using JMP 16.0.0

Connor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Adding New Custom Summary Statistics

Modifying the existing platforms isn't usually that simple but it can be done through scripting. If you commonly perform similar analysis it might be easier to script your own report (script or add-in) which uses distribution platform for some analysis and then has additional summary statistics somewhere in the UI. It is also possible to create a script (or add-in) which will manipulate existing distribution platform and adds summary statistics there

View more...
Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

dist = dt << Run Script("Distribution");

// dist = ((Current Report() << child) << child) << Get Scriptable Object;

obs = (dist << XPath("//OutlineBox"));
ob_titles = obs << get title;
col_of_interest = ob_titles[2];

sum_stat = Report(dist)[OutlineBox(col_of_interest), OutlineBox("Summary Statistics")];
sum_stat_lb = sum_stat << child;

Insert Into(sum_stat_lb, tb2 = Table Box(String Col Box("", {"AAA"}), Number Col Box("", [123])));
tb2 << Add Row({"BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB", 1231312321});

Community has quite a lot of material for scripting as does JMP documentation, Scripting Guide is good starting point.

Edit: There is also Custom formulas for summary statistics that can be created then used in Tabulate, Distribution, Summ... item in wish list

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

Modifying the existing platforms isn't usually that simple but it can be done through scripting. If you commonly perform similar analysis it might be easier to script your own report (script or add-in) which uses distribution platform for some analysis and then has additional summary statistics somewhere in the UI. It is also possible to create a script (or add-in) which will manipulate existing distribution platform and adds summary statistics there

View more...
Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

dist = dt << Run Script("Distribution");

// dist = ((Current Report() << child) << child) << Get Scriptable Object;

obs = (dist << XPath("//OutlineBox"));
ob_titles = obs << get title;
col_of_interest = ob_titles[2];

sum_stat = Report(dist)[OutlineBox(col_of_interest), OutlineBox("Summary Statistics")];
sum_stat_lb = sum_stat << child;

Insert Into(sum_stat_lb, tb2 = Table Box(String Col Box("", {"AAA"}), Number Col Box("", [123])));
tb2 << Add Row({"BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB", 1231312321});

Community has quite a lot of material for scripting as does JMP documentation, Scripting Guide is good starting point.

Edit: There is also Custom formulas for summary statistics that can be created then used in Tabulate, Distribution, Summ... item in wish list

-Jarmo
Connor_K
Level II

Jarmo,

Thank you for the reply, your sample code helped to point me in the right direction. Manipulating the existing tables via JSL is perfect.

Good to know this is being considered in the wish list as well, I am sure many folks would find it useful. Thanks again!

Connor

Connor
SDF1
Super User

Hi @Connor_K ,

In addition to what @jthi has mentioned about scripting, where you can generate your own interface and statistical values, you might try checking out the Distribution Summary Statistics to see if the statistic you're after is already built into JMP.

Go File > Preferences > Platforms > Distribution Summary Statistics, and check/uncheck the boxes for the statistics that you want to appear or not appear.

Hope this helps!,

DS

SDF1_0-1689619637404.png

SDF1_1-1689619645915.png

Connor_K
Level II

Hi DS,

Unfortunately the statistics I am interested in are not included in the preferences section you have mentioned. The statistics I need are proprietary and a bit esoteric. I appreciate you taking the time to share that information though!

Connor

Connor