cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nikles
Level VI

Accidentally hid a modal window. Now I'm locked out. :(

So, I was goofing around and asked myself "What would happen if I try to hide a modal window?".  The script below illustrates (Do not run this script, as it will lock up JMP):

//=====================================================
//Warning. Do not press the "Hide" button!!! It will lock up JMP
//=====================================================
Names Default to Here(1); New Window("Test", << Modal, Button Box("Hide", Window("Test") << Show Window(0)); );

Well, that was a dumb idea.  I pressed "Hide" and sure enough, the window was hidden.  But because it's a modal window and it was still open, only hidden from view, I could not access anything else.  Couldn't stop the script.  Pressing ESC or CMD + . didn't exit the script (I'm using a Mac).  In the end I had to force quit, losing about 2-3hrs of work on another script I had open.  Also tried to save my work prior to force quitting (CMD + S), but it would only allow me to save the script that was currently in focus (the script above).  

My question: would there have been any other way for me to either force close that modal window, or force stop the script?  Asking because, although I've learned my lesson in this case, there's been other times I've done something else equally brilliant that resulted in the my not being able to save my work.   Would be nice to know if there's some other solution.

Relevant Details:

JMP Pro 15.2.1

Mac OS Big Sur

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Accidentally hid a modal window. Now I'm locked out. :(

I don't know of a way to recover JMP in that situation but you could enable Autosave for scripts and other things under the General section of Preferences.  Personally I just try to be good friends with the save button.

From help (link below):

Automatically saves the contents of opened data tables, journals, reports, projects, and scripts except for untitled files at the specified interval. The default setting is 0 minutes, which indicates no autosave.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/16.0/#page/jmp/general-jmp-preferences.shtml?os=win&source=appli...

jthi
Super User

I also try to be good friends with Save button, but I have also made this wish list item Script Editor - Add possibility to save script before run to temporary file and there is also FileSnapper 

-Jarmo
Craige_Hales
Super User

Sympathy.

Apparently (this example) is not an issue on Win because the modal window does not hide, but I've been there too. If I'm lucky, I can take a picture of the JSL before restarting.

FileSnapper  uses some windows specific DOS commands, so it won't help on Mac.

Craige
nikles
Level VI

Thanks for the advice guys!  Yeah, it stinks there's no way to recover from this, but in the end I was able to remember what I'd done and have since recovered.  NBD.