cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP Scripting Unsession

Facilitator:Stan Koprowski, Sr. Systems Engineer, User Enablement, JMP

According to Wikipedia, an unconference is a participant-driven meeting designed to encourage attendee involvement in topic selection and knowledge sharing. Join us for these lightly structured discussions to share your ideas and learn more about JSL scripting.

We had some great discussions and much needed time to reconnect and network with peers and colleagues from around the world.  We mentioned many resources during the sessions for learning JSL, parsing report outputs and more. 

Below are the many of the content items that were mentioned or utilized during the sessions. Like minded folks similar to yourselves have a question, know the answer, or just want to hang out and learn follow the discussions.

Others want to be part of a group where they can teach and share their knowledge and resources.  For you we recommend the JMP Scripting Users Group.  The rich JMP Scripting Language (JSL) lets you work interactively and save results for reuse. It even allows you to develop new functionality to solve problems that core JMP does not address. We´d like to help you to take full advantage of JMP and its automation capabilities. To do so we´ve created the JMP Scripters Club. A community of JMP users who are eager to learn and leverage the JMP Scripting Language and to share their knowledge with fellow JMP users.

Do you enjoy cooking? Or are you like me where you love me appetizer? Maybe your are a fan of the full course meal or just want a sweet snack? Then hop on over to the JSL Cookbook  where you'll find tasty and delightful recipes using the extraordinary ingredients available from the JMP Scripting Language. 

@Wendy_Murphrey and @_jr showed us how to FLASH ( our reports)  and then parse them with XPATH queries. We learned that JMP is using version 1 of XPATH.  We saw on the fly how to implement an query to dynamically pull estimates from the report output.

Namespaces oh my!  @drewfoglia shared options for launching JMP platforms with pre-populated selections. He also mentioned namespaces and I refer the reader to the Namespaces online documentation  for more information as it relates to the topic.  Drew also shared his paperObject-Oriented JSL – Techniques for Writing Maintainable/Extendable JSL Code and another great resource was mentioned during the session Essential Scripting for Efficiency and Reproducibility: Do Less to Do More (2019-US-TUT-290).

Flows—sharing shortcuts and developing repeatable analyses are available in the upcoming JMP 17 release. We heard from @Mandy_Chambers about workflow builder.  I bet you like me are really excited to get our hands dirty with this great new capability.

Looking to learn JSL? Head on over to the Learn section of the community where you can find free on demand courses, discount codes and more.  JMP Education shared some great news about our first free on demand course Introduction to the JSL Scripting Language, available immediately.  We heard about certification exams and how to receive a special discount code that enables you to receive 55% off the certification exam.

Looking for syntactic sugar or have literal value dilemmas check out the informative information provided by @Joseph_morgan2
He shared a brief refresher from his JSL Tutorial that he delivered as part of Discovery Summit Europe in Prague.  He also reminded us that the JMPer Cable has excellent articles available for consumption in short snippets, for example,  Expression Handling Functions: Part I - Unraveling the Expr(), NameExpr(), Eval(), ... Conundrum.  Joseph also shared a link to Using JSL to Develop Efficient, Robust Applications.

If you were lucky enough to attend the in-person or virtual event please leave us a comment below and let me know what you enjoyed most.