Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A Better Way to Manage and Organize JMP® Files

Authors

Brady Brady, JMP Enablement Engineer, SAS

Donald W. McCormack, JMP Enablement Engineer, SAS

At one time or another, you have likely “lost” a JMP table, journal or script. The file wasn’t really lost – just moved, altered or renamed. Traditionally, people have relied on creating a system of directories to keep track of files. There are a number of disadvantages to this method, the greatest of which is that the directory structure contains no information about what is in the files. We show a powerful and flexible file management application, built with JSL, which allows users to find data tables, journals and scripts using a variety of criteria. Topics include:

• Methods for crawling through journals, scripts and data tables to extract file metadata and to categorize and locate scripts located within these files.
  • Combining local data filters with a hidden tabulate platform to avoid construction of complicated row selection WHERE clauses.
  • Using hidden output to derive and present search results.
  • Methods to locate and surface elements buried within large journals.
  • Using set operations and associative arrays to aggregate/summarize rows of multiple response columns by levels of a grouping variable.
  • Allowing users to view and edit file metadata without editing files directly.
  • WHERE clause considerations when using multiple response columns and data filters.

Comments
rich_bubb

An interesting program possibility is available from www.thebrain.com  or

TheBrain :: Mind Mapping Software, Brainstorming, GTD and Knowledgebase Software

The Brain's interface is a visual relational database.

This 3:50 video shows their product in operation:

TheBrain :: TheBrain

rabelardo

Specifically, how can The Brain help a JMP user Manage & Organize JMP files?

Does it offer the same or better solution as the JSL add-in presented here?

Hegedus

I am working on a project to organize and understand the information on a server.  I can get the requisite info from Mircosoft Office files (docx, xlsx, and pptx).  I would like to do the same for .jmp files since there are a great number of those.  I really only need to know the column names at this point.  I watched the presentation, are the finished scripts available?  If not is there an alternative method?  I can see on my Mac when I preview a JMP file in finder I can see the column names.  Is there a tool available that would let me crawl a server to extract that data?

Ake

Sounds interesting, but the video says 'video not available' and 'video is private'.

Ake_0-1702484453288.png

Discovery Summit 2014 Resources

Discovery Summit 2014 is over, but it's not too late to participate in the conversation!

Below, you'll find papers, posters and selected video clips from Discovery Summit 2014.