Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
kathy_walker

Staff

Aug 19, 2014

A Better Way to Manage and Organize JMP® Files

Authors

Brady Brady, JMP Enablement Engineer, SAS

Donald W. McCormack, JMP Enablement Engineer, SAS

At one time or another, you have likely “lost” a JMP table, journal or script. The file wasn’t really lost – just moved, altered or renamed. Traditionally, people have relied on creating a system of directories to keep track of files. There are a number of disadvantages to this method, the greatest of which is that the directory structure contains no information about what is in the files. We show a powerful and flexible file management application, built with JSL, which allows users to find data tables, journals and scripts using a variety of criteria. Topics include:

• Methods for crawling through journals, scripts and data tables to extract file metadata and to categorize and locate scripts located within these files.
  • Combining local data filters with a hidden tabulate platform to avoid construction of complicated row selection WHERE clauses.
  • Using hidden output to derive and present search results.
  • Methods to locate and surface elements buried within large journals.
  • Using set operations and associative arrays to aggregate/summarize rows of multiple response columns by levels of a grouping variable.
  • Allowing users to view and edit file metadata without editing files directly.
  • WHERE clause considerations when using multiple response columns and data filters.

Comments
rich_bubb

An interesting program possibility is available from www.thebrain.com  or

TheBrain :: Mind Mapping Software, Brainstorming, GTD and Knowledgebase Software

The Brain's interface is a visual relational database.

This 3:50 video shows their product in operation:

TheBrain :: TheBrain

rabelardo

Specifically, how can The Brain help a JMP user Manage & Organize JMP files?

Does it offer the same or better solution as the JSL add-in presented here?

Hegedus

I am working on a project to organize and understand the information on a server.  I can get the requisite info from Mircosoft Office files (docx, xlsx, and pptx).  I would like to do the same for .jmp files since there are a great number of those.  I really only need to know the column names at this point.  I watched the presentation, are the finished scripts available?  If not is there an alternative method?  I can see on my Mac when I preview a JMP file in finder I can see the column names.  Is there a tool available that would let me crawl a server to extract that data?

Article Tags
Contributors