cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
alexbeck
Staff

Ecosia - start planting trees with your internet searches

After mentioning Ecosia at Kick-Off, @katie_stone asked me to share a bit about them here. 

As you may know, conservation and sustainability is a matter close to my heart. And so, as soon as I`ve heard about Ecosia, an internet search engine, which is using the revenue they are getting from the ads to plant trees around the globe, I`ve made it my standard search engine. And by now my web searches  on my business laptop only contributed to planting hundreds of trees. So far Ecosia has planted a stunning number of 142 million trees. And now imagine what would happen if all JMP´ers would start using Ecosia as their standard search engine. How many trees would we be able to contribute? 

Some more background on Ecosia: 

Ecosia is a search engine based in Berlin, Germany. It donates 80% of its profits to nonprofit organizations that focus on reforestation. It considers itself a social business, is CO2-negative and claims to support full financial transparency and protect the privacy of its users. Searches are encrypted and not stored permanently, and data is not sold to third-party advertisers. The company states in its privacy policy that it does not create personal profiles based on search history, nor does it use external tracking tools like Google Analytics

Do you get the same search results than you´d expect to get from Google? 

No! Ecosia's search results have been provided by Bing since 2017 and enhanced by the company's own algorithms. But in most cases the searches deliver the results I need.

Where can I use Ecosia:

It is currently available as a web browser extension or as a mobile app on Android and iOS devices.

I personally think it would be a great if many JMP employees would start using Ecosia and then we start tracking & reporting  JMP`s progress. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Ecosia - start planting trees with your internet searches

just installed it, let's see how many trees I get after one month. 

update: After two weeks 34 Trees

after almost 1 month: 77 trees, I like it

/****NeverStopLearning****/