cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DELANDJ1985
Level II

Convert character date and time (Jun 2, 2020 8:41:43 AM) to numeric DD MM YYYY HH:MM:SS

Normally manipulate this date format in excel 'Jun 2, 2020 8:41:43 AM' to be more JMP friendly but is there a method of completing this activity within the software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Convert character date and time (Jun 2, 2020 8:41:43 AM) to numeric DD MM YYYY HH:MM:SS

One option would be to create formula like in the attached file in Column 2.

And if JMP14 has Custom functions, you could use them: JMP15.0 Help - Create Custom Functions, Transforms, and Formats 

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: Convert character date and time (Jun 2, 2020 8:41:43 AM) to numeric DD MM YYYY HH:MM:SS

If you are using JMP16 you might have luck with Format Pattern depending on your Locale Settings:

jthi_0-1642169144704.png

-Jarmo
DELANDJ1985
Level II

Thanks for quick response Jarmo! Unfortunately i'm still using JMP 14 so i don't think i have this function.

jthi
Super User

As I don't have access to JMP14 at the moment and my locale is different (I'm not used to 12 hour clock and I have had my fair share of issues how JMP manages dates and times, especially before JMP16.1), testing for me might be a bit finicky. Depending where you need this functionality, you could create a function / custom function or use just as is. The idea is to get your string into date-time value, which JMP can then convert to what ever format you want.

You will have to be careful with different corner cases which can make a mess of the date time and this might not handle all of them or have mistakes in it:

Names Default To Here(1);

//Converts "Jun 2, 2020 12:41:43 PM" formatted string to JMP date-time
convert_str_to_date_time = function({str}, {Default Local},

//create month list to get month number based on index
	months = {"Jan", "Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"};
	{month_str, day_str, year_str, time_str, ampm_str} = Words(str, ", ");
	{hour_str, minute_str, second_str} = Words(time_str, ":");

//Date
	year_num = Num(year_str);
	month_num = Contains(months, month_str);
	day_num = Num(day_str);

//Time
	hour_num = Num(hour_str) + If(ampm_str == "PM", 12, 0); //will need to handle 24 -> 0...
	If(hour_num >= 24, 
		hour_num = 0;
	);
	minute_num = Num(minute_str);
	second_num = Num(second_str);

//date-time value
	date_time_val = Date DMY(day_num, month_num, year_num) + In Hours(hour_num) + In Minutes(minute_num) + second_num;

return(date_time_val)
);
str1 = "Jun 2, 2020 8:41:43 AM";
str2 = "Jun 2, 2020 12:41:43 PM";

date_time = convert_str_to_date_time(str1); // As Date(date_time) = 02Jun2020:08:41:43;
Show(As Date(date_time));
date_time = convert_str_to_date_time(str2); // As Date(date_time) = 02Jun2020:00:41:43;
Show(As Date(date_time));

-Jarmo
DELANDJ1985
Level II

Thanks Jarmo - would it be possible to show me how to deploy such a function in the software?

jthi
Super User

One option would be to create formula like in the attached file in Column 2.

And if JMP14 has Custom functions, you could use them: JMP15.0 Help - Create Custom Functions, Transforms, and Formats 

-Jarmo