cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Seven Quality Tools for Process Improvement

• Quality control is about models, methods, measuring and managing. It’s about uncovering a problem and finding the right solution using the right techniques at the right time to make things better.

• Kaoru Ishikawa taught quality management systems in Japan and promoted quality control. He believed that most problems could be solved directly by using the seven basic quality tools.

• Continuous improvement teams use data to reduce errors, improve processes and the quality of their products and services.

Bass_Masri_2-1629673537754.png

View the tutorial below and learn more about the seven must-have quality tools for every process improvement team:
1. Histograms.
2. Check sheets.
3. Pareto charts.
4. Cause and effect diagrams.
5. Stratification.
6. Scatter plots.
7. Control charts.

Discover how you can easily deploy these quality methods in JMP to identify and manage sources of process variation in this Banking and Finance - Case Study.

• You are the research manager at a leading bank and want to understand the nature of complaints and ways to improve customer satisfaction.

• You have multiple data types in multiple workbooks from different sources and need a way to systematically review and analyze the data objectively.

• Customer satisfaction and net promoter scores have been declining. It’s your job to conduct the analyses, identify causes and improve processes.

• You use the seven basic quality tools + text explorer to analyze distributions, tabulate complaints, identify unusual observations, patterns and trends.

View more...

Gahyatthri Pandian: Our webinar today is on seven quality tools for process improvement this webinar will be conducted by best mastery our systems engineer.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Okay.

Gahyatthri Pandian: i'm just very quickly, before we move forward and June details right quick introduction on john C jump is for JP oh no need funding knowledge jumps is a statistical discovery software my says.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Jim good night two gentlemen here, Jim good night and john sell our our company co founders, they are both still leaders, it says.

Gahyatthri Pandian: But one of the main ideas that don't sell had when he created jam was to have a user interface to help engineers and scientists to do the job more efficiently, using statistics and data visualizations.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Also, not here jump re investors about 25% of the revenue into R amp D and a full version release is is released in every 18 months and it's largely largely based on customer feedback, in fact, our latest version now is jump 16.

Gahyatthri Pandian: So this is our team, and here is our very beautiful office in the US.

Gahyatthri Pandian: A quick introduction that now bears is based in Australia is a huge passion for statistics, with more than 20 years of work experience in engineering science and process improvement.

Gahyatthri Pandian: is also certified with the lean six Sigma black belt, with more than 10 years as a principal stack in quality assurance and regulatory affairs is a degree in science and master's.

Gahyatthri Pandian: In place that's from the inquiry new news in Sydney, which is also where he first met says.

Gahyatthri Pandian: And my name is Gaia i'm in go to person when it comes to giant job licensed refinements and purchase if you're keen to have a go at our DEMO we have a database DEMO you can reach out to me.

Gahyatthri Pandian: If it's for jump on jump rope it's also we also have jumped clinical if you have a question on those reject me, I will be sharing our contact details as well.

Gahyatthri Pandian: I like to share a couple of links here, I, like the pollen the very useful resources that you can have a goal when you have the chance.

Gahyatthri Pandian: The first one here is the new user welcome kit is about two hours, and right now it's available, you can get.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Online i'll share the link as well, and the best part about this is you get a certificate once you complete this.

Gahyatthri Pandian: And the other one that we always talk about is steve's steve's is a seven more do.

Gahyatthri Pandian: A training is a rather a little longer than two hours, but when you have a chance to have a go at it gives you a better.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Understanding on jump in how it works with step of thinking and Problem Solving and also do a design an experiment introduction to this is a quick one our.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Introduction kid I would suggest if you're very much killing your industry your company Bikini to bring this kind of experts have a go at this, if you have more questions you want to do our practice we got your data, then come look for me from any more than happy to help you with desktop.

Gahyatthri Pandian: and join john community and junk community we don't use it, this is a screenshot and I had some time ago there's more than 21,000 members.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Besides best we also are the system engineers, that will be on this platform, as well.

Gahyatthri Pandian: So it's a great place for you to start your discussion so even if you didn't exchange files are add ons you can create your find them available to.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Post your questions you have other users, they will be here as well, so you can actually get point of view, from other users and other system engineers as well.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Okay, so this great quick it's just one sign up anywhere in that anomaly or another page, you can find a lot of resources on jump will be on our learn jump and i'll put the link out later.

Gahyatthri Pandian: You can get started with john must enjoy the new user welcome kit is also here speeches also here, as well as our contact details don't worry, I will share them in the chat column, and without further ado, I am going to pass the bath.

Bass Masri: brilliant Thank you.

Bass Masri: i'm going to share my screen and those kids are so cute.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Thank you.

Bass Masri: Let me go to where Am I.

Bass Masri: Alright, so i've got a brief intro as well.

Bass Masri: So we've talked about the seven quality tools for process improvement, and these are the one, so this comes from an article called building from the basics.

Bass Masri: A quality journal, that I was reading and talked about the seven quality tools.

Bass Masri: Which are check sheets predator charts cause and effect diagrams stratification histogram scatter plot and control charts and i'm going to talk about those in a moment, but basically they're all about visualizing data visualizing our data.

Bass Masri: And if we think about quality, the quality tools quality control is about models methods measuring and managing and it's about uncovering a problem and finding the right solution, using the right techniques at the right time to make things better to make some improvements.

Bass Masri: And you may have heard of Carol you should cow who taught quality management systems in Japan and promoted quality control and he actually believe that most problems can be solved directly using these seven basic quality tools and I was reading.

Bass Masri: A montgomery's textbook statistical quality control and he was talking about these seven basic quality tools, he didn't like the word basic and he changed him to the magnificent seven quality tools, so I prefer to use magnificent seven quality tools.

Bass Masri: And you think about continuous improvement teams, they always using data to try and reduce errors improve processes and the quality of their products and services, so this is perfect for process improvement teams.

Bass Masri: And today we're going to use a case study a banking and finance case study.

Bass Masri: Where you're the research manager at the leading bank, you want to understand the nature of complaints and ways to improve customer satisfaction.

Bass Masri: you've got multiple data types they're in multiple worksheets they're from different sources and you need a way to systematically review and analyze.

Bass Masri: The data objectively, you need to do this because customer satisfaction and net promoter scores have been declining and it's your job as the analytics.

Bass Masri: Research manager or process improvement manager to conduct the analyses identify the causes and improve the processes systematically so we're going to use the seven basic quality tools, plus one bonus tool which is the text explorer a more modern.

Bass Masri: Adaptation or modern tool we're going to analyze distributions we're going to tabulate complaints we're going to identify unusual observations patterns and trends.

Bass Masri: Now I put in the chat window a question about what can you tell me about these numbers so i'm going to i'm going to post it here as well, and so here are the numbers and you can see a whole heap of numbers here.

Bass Masri: And just looking at those numbers.

Bass Masri: I was wondering what could people just tell me outright about those numbers just looking at them any any ideas Gaia and said, with a with a good good answer she said that that were three digits what.

Bass Masri: People tell me.

Bass Masri: Anyone got any ideas.

Gahyatthri Pandian: hundred range.

Gahyatthri Pandian: I mean.

Bass Masri: that's good.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Oh between hundred and 200.

Bass Masri: Very good.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Come on guys, we can get more.

Gahyatthri Pandian: 155 more frequencies and more people.

Bass Masri: Yes, that's that's sort of the middle value yet going good.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Data all progressing.

Bass Masri: Yes, it's status sequential yeah that's good.

Gahyatthri Pandian: That is duplicate numbers do yeah there is.

Bass Masri: yeah yeah yeah yeah this repeated numbers.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Did.

Bass Masri: You get my point.

Bass Masri: just looking at the numbers it's it's difficult to get an ID or the and we've had like 50 people here or more.

Bass Masri: Look at these numbers and try and come up with some sort of description about them.

Bass Masri: So, but if I look at it graphically.

Bass Masri: Now, I can see the data is range, we can see the data ranges between 102 hundred I can see, you know it's sort of a bill shape, so I can sort of see yet it looks normally distributed, I can see where the where the mean of the data is.

Bass Masri: Around about 145 I can see where the median of the data is.

Bass Masri: A little bit more I can get an understanding understanding of dispersion will spread or the standard deviation.

Bass Masri: So I can I can see a lot more graphically when I went from data, so I can understand the data much more graphically and if I had some summary stats on the side I get some really good information.

Bass Masri: about my data, rather than just looking at those numbers and trying to describe them instantly you know it's a bit tough here, we were lucky because they were ordered.

Bass Masri: This was ordered data imagine if it was randomly spread or imagine if it was in a column down the page or across the page, you know it's it's difficult to understand, but he it's quite easy I can I can.

Bass Masri: I can see what this distribution looks like and that's really the philosophy of.

Bass Masri: jump that a lot of the information is accompanied.

Bass Masri: By a graphic chart so, and if we think about graphical techniques their their methods to summarize data explore data.

Bass Masri: identify unusual observations patterns and trends and histogram is a special chart that we can use to graphically display data in equal size beans or bars bit like a bar chart that joins the data together okay join data, so we can see.

Bass Masri: A histogram and we can analyze our distribution.

Bass Masri: OK, the next job for our process improvement team is to look at cause and effect, and we want to sort of try and understand the possible causes of an effect, and you will have seen this one, you know where it's defects.

Bass Masri: And you use the you know the methods, the measurements and materials, the environment, the personnel to try and.

Bass Masri: You know, identify what causes the defect and we we do this by sort of brainstorming ideas and constructing this chart often we do it on a whiteboard.

Bass Masri: But, in our case.

Bass Masri: We don't have defects we've got complaints.

Bass Masri: So I want to be able to sort of stratify this by you know quality by delivery by behavior and so on, and I want to be able to jot down what I think and generate a nice diagram for me to go and.

Bass Masri: share and investigate that with with my team further, so this is a cause and effect diagram so we want to be able to create something like this.

Bass Masri: If you think about check sheets or tallies it's just a tally your account and sometimes the data comes in different forms.

Bass Masri: But it's just a customized data collection form whenever there's a defect or problem or a complaint it's it's just generally a telly and we want to use that tell it to be able to tabulate.

Bass Masri: Our our our information in here we've got a count of the complaints okay we're going to use that as well.

Bass Masri: So that instead of just CAP table, we want to be able to graphically display that and approach our.

Bass Masri: tables the frequency of a defect or a complaint and arrange in descending order and the reason we want it to be in descending order is to help us.

Bass Masri: judge the contribution of each category to focus on our improvements, so he, we can say the top three our staff knowledge services and confidentiality Okay, so we can go and work on those top three, and that gives that will get rid of maybe 75% of all our complex.

Bass Masri: Now stratification if you if you think about stratified what is certifying basically basically that's just a break down into categories or cross tabulation to try and find a pattern.

Bass Masri: So, for example, here, we want to know where the complaints are and we want to break it down by region and by site type and we can see here the most complaints occur.

Bass Masri: At site B and in the country Okay, so we can try and drill down or break down our data into categories and that stratification.

Bass Masri: And then we're going to look at a scatter plot and that's just another graphical method to investigate a potential relationship between two continuous variables.

Bass Masri: And here we've got the time to resolve a complaint or the time to resolve a call and then the number of complaints and we use this measure, called the correlation coefficient to try and.

Bass Masri: To try and demonstrate or identify how strong the linear relationship is between the two continuous variables.

Bass Masri: And then we're going to look at control charts control charts used statistical techniques and their time time order data.

Bass Masri: And we use control charts because it's a way of preventing.

Bass Masri: preventing waste or avoiding waste point not producing in the first place So here we can see the time taken to complete a call, and you can see, most of the calls.

Bass Masri: Are will within you know, two minutes and eight minutes, so we want to we we might have some specifications to say you know one minute and 10 minutes we can train down data, and we can see if things are going up or down.

Bass Masri: And we can we can go a step further, we can we can have these shaded zones as well, so this is this is handy now the additional more modern.

Bass Masri: Quality tool that I like to use is text explorer so often you'll do you'll handle survey data which is just text and you need a way to be able to to analyze that, especially if there's hundreds of responses.

Bass Masri: To the survey he we've got complaint diner hundreds and hundreds of responses to the complaint data and we wanted a way to analyze that in a in a nice.

Bass Masri: way to get a sense of the the complaint text, but better still if you have jumped pro you can identify sentiment and you can see here the purple is is bad and the the orange is good, so I can see from the complaint text.

Bass Masri: problem rude wasted wrong irritated unacceptable are all that bad sentiments, along with better best friendly much better good comfortable, there was a good sentiment so i'll show you how to do all of that soon.

Bass Masri: And so we'll come back to that last slide findings and summary at the end, so now i'm going to switch to john and you, you can say my screen hopefully.

Bass Masri: Okay, so now, this is what jump looks like when you open it jump pro and now i'm going to go to my journal, which is, which is just a it's like a like a pad or a document, where I can you know have icons and links to home pages and other things, but I like it, because it helps me.

Bass Masri: work through my work through my jobs and again, you can see we've got a banking and finance case study, where the research manager, we want to open our data, we want to improve our.

Bass Masri: customer satisfaction and we're going to use these basic quality tools and i've got here the little sort of step by step, guide to doing that, but first things first I want to look at my data, where is it well i've got an excel spreadsheet here, and you can see, he i've got it in.

Bass Masri: You know i've got a spreadsheet for each type of.

Bass Masri: each type of data, you can see here i've got you know tables and.

Bass Masri: Cross tabs and all sorts of data, all in seven different worksheets so how in the wide wide world to why to bring in all those worksheets.

Bass Masri: it's really simple I just go for an open.

Bass Masri: And he I can.

Bass Masri: You can see my screen here, I can just go to hear it, saying or jump files, but I know it's excel so i'm just going to go to excel and there, it is a magnificent seven banking and finance, so if I open that.

Bass Masri: It asked me what do I want to open.

Bass Masri: It knows where the header is it knows where the data starts there's lots of options, but you know straightaway that's that's how good it is the excel wizard.

Bass Masri: i'm just going to go important so now it's going to bring them in one by one, and now i'm going to go to my first work book or worksheet and my job, my first job is to analyze our distribution and try and get a histogram so I can go analyze and distribution and just select call time.

Bass Masri: And he really is he now i've got.

Bass Masri: i've got a nice distribution.

Bass Masri: i've got the summary statistics.

Bass Masri: And I can even I know that the main should be around 150 or can even add like a little target here if I want to.

Bass Masri: I can add the change the target store like an even had a label and have target so i'm gonna put that in there and there it is.

Just the sound the way made OK.

Bass Masri: So now i've got a target line, but you know what it'd be nice to test the hypothesis, to see if this main is actually worth 150 and I can do that by just go test mean, and I can say you know hundred and 50 and he okay.

Bass Masri: And he I can see the p value is greater than point 05, so I do not reject the null hypothesis that the mean the sample main could be 150 alright so i've got some.

Bass Masri: Good ideas I can do the similar sort of thing not as not as good not as much information, but I can do a similar sort of thing in.

Bass Masri: graph builder and I can you know be 95% sure the main was in.

Bass Masri: 150 and I can change the color and so on yeah okay done and I get a nice graph as well okay.

Bass Masri: let's go to check sheets so here i've got complaints it's in a funny sort of format because.

Bass Masri: You know that's the computer system that i've got i've got all you know compliance for attitude just just a list you know and it's just a tally each time I get a complaint it just added.

Bass Masri: And that's the way the computer system gives it to me so now i've got to deal with it, you know now i've got to think well Okay, how many complaints do I have for each category so.

Bass Masri: I can just.

Bass Masri: The quickest and easiest way is just really simply just to go to columns and the columns do you.

Bass Masri: And I can just say show summary and it gives me account straight away.

Bass Masri: Which is good, I can I can sort of copy and paste this or I can make this into a data table, so now i've got a David data table I don't know this columns or delete it and it's given me the counts for each complaint.

Bass Masri: Which is again good, but it doesn't give me the the description of the complaints, so another way to do that is to go to analyze and tabulate.

Bass Masri: And here I can just select the compliance drag them in and done, and this is given me the complaints with the description, but I don't really like this the way this is.

Bass Masri: laid out so again i'm just going to go to tables and stack and i'm going to stack these columns and i'll call this stacked.

Bass Masri: and heat OK.

Bass Masri: And now i've got these.

Bass Masri: These stacked and I can just go now analyze and tabulate and I can just chucking data The good thing about this is, I can order it by count and you can say now.

Bass Masri: i've got this.

Bass Masri: In an order table and that's that's a lot nicer Okay, so I can do that.

Bass Masri: I said before, that every statistic in jump is usually accompanied by a chart he is a chart here as well, even for tables, you can get a nice little chart as well Okay, you can you can copy that and and.

Bass Masri: You know I can I can copy that and paste it into my table if I want into my presentation okay so that's check sheets let's take a look at prideaux.

Bass Masri: So here i've got so here I just had you know this check sheet or tally of complaints, but here i've got a nice summary.

Bass Masri: But you know again i'm in the process improvement team which ones, do I start first he there's only seven so i'll get a good idea to what, to start with, first, but again I want to.

Bass Masri: You know, want to display this graphically so I can go to analyze quality and process and if I get a pareto chart.

Bass Masri: I just go to cause for categories and number is frequency.

Bass Masri: And now I get a nice.

Bass Masri: chart.

Bass Masri: If all I want to redo this, for example by hitting the redo I i've got this sort of staggered high to low pitch you know you can also show this as a pie chart as well and you'll see it ordered from high to low I can get a count of the total and I can label them as well.

Bass Masri: And all see the label and you can say you got a nice chart of course I can do this, also in graph builder and I can just go to.

Bass Masri: Just move this out of the way on put categories down the bottom here number of complaints.

Bass Masri: make this a pie chart.

Bass Masri: Some.

Bass Masri: and order.

Bass Masri: order by a number of compliance descending so now i've got there i'll put.

Bass Masri: A label this time i'll make it as percentage okay and i've done.

Bass Masri: So you've got a little bit more.

Bass Masri: ability to manipulate the charting graph builder.

Bass Masri: Okay cause and effect so we saw you know what we normally do with man machine materials methods, but we're in a we're in a service environment and we've got complaints.

Bass Masri: As the output and maybe i'll just really rename that, as you know, with a couple arrows just to illustrate that that's the output.

Bass Masri: And again, have got complaints and the categories are professional behavior communication service delivery company policy service quality.

Bass Masri: And no case to answer and then for each category underneath i've got the the the types of things that affect that category so staff attitude competency knowledge affect behavior communications method confidentiality affects communication and so on.

Bass Masri: john wants this in a in a in a parent child.

Bass Masri: Type format so again I just need to get it tables and stack.

Bass Masri: And i'm going to stack all these together.

Bass Masri: I need okay.

Bass Masri: And i've got a few empty rose which i'm going to delete.

Bass Masri: So i'll just delete those rows and I might sort this as well i'm doing i'm doing all these table manipulations just to show you how easy it is to.

Bass Masri: manipulate your data, and I find that's the hardest thing to do, you know working in excel and other you know basic packages, this is much more professional and easy to easy to do so i'm going to sort by label.

Bass Masri: And now i've got complaints i've got the categories and under each category the the things that affect it so now, so this is the parents or make that parent.

Bass Masri: Just so everyone can follow along and i'll make this the child.

Bass Masri: Just rename as child.

Bass Masri: Okay, and now I can go analyze quality and process and then go.

Bass Masri: cause and effect diagram and it asked me where's the child there it is where's the parent there it is, and I can eat okay.

Bass Masri: So now I get a nice sexy little chart which I can just copy by selecting the selection K and copy and paste I can fall save as.

Bass Masri: and save that as a PDF or just for some default or even an html file okay so that's that's that's pretty good i've got my cause and effect diagram little bit of manipulation, but I actually did that on purpose to show you how easy it is to stack things.

Bass Masri: OK now we're up to cause and effect.

Bass Masri: So now we're up to stratification and we're going to use the Cross tabulation.

Bass Masri: So again, he we've got you know region type site and whether we got a complaint or not so again, this is just the way the.

Bass Masri: You know the way the system gives it to me, but I want that in you know something a bit more concise something a bit more interesting and maybe something a bit more graphical I like to not have any complaints.

Bass Masri: We were they in the country where they in the city and what type of site where they were in with a.

Bass Masri: bank bank.

Bass Masri: or were they in a commercial bank or were they at the head office back you know the different types of sites, for example.

Bass Masri: But I can't really get that from just just a table, so I want to be able to get a get a nice little tabulation so I can get analyze.

Bass Masri: And then tabulate.

Bass Masri: And he I can maybe put in he complaints, yes or no, and then I can dropping city or country.

Bass Masri: So that's pretty good straightaway, I can see there's a lot more complaints in the country.

Bass Masri: But I wonder if site has an effect on that, so I can dropping site, and you can see, he I put it to the right or I can replace it.

Bass Masri: Or, I can put it up the top, but I want to just to the right of region, so I know city and then by the site type country and then by the site type and I see he site B has a has an effect on complaints and you can see here in the city A and B only had one complaint, but site be.

Bass Masri: gave a small and again insight be in the country I got you know got a lot more complaints and now that's pretty good i've got a good idea of where complaints are.

Bass Masri: Where they're occurring, and I know I can work on site be in the country, first to to sort of address my complaints and I can see that more clearly in my chart in the table.

Bass Masri: Which is, which is again unique to to Jane princess and now which this is this is good, but you know what i'd like to see that as a proportion so i'm going to get a graph builder and i'm going to sort of do the same thing i'm going to chalk site type up the top.

Bass Masri: And i'm going to chalk.

Bass Masri: region like Haitian at the bottom, and you can see here i've already starting to get an ID site typing on a click on the mosaic plot and i'm going to put in he complaints in why and i'm going to label it by the account.

Bass Masri: And I can hit done so now, I can see by sight type and I can see by the city or country and I can see how many complaints and I can see the proportion of compliance so in the country for site B.

Bass Masri: I can see here i've got 22 and 30 and it's about 60 65% to 35% yes and no so.

Bass Masri: This is a nice way to look at things as well, and you can see, he incites see.

Bass Masri: there's more there's more complaints in the country.

Bass Masri: Or the small counts, I should say in the country versus city said, not many in the city for sightsee see type sites.

Bass Masri: Okay let's go to scatter plot.

Bass Masri: So here we said we had you know time to resolve the calls and then the resulting complaints, as a result of the time and we've got this lot.

Bass Masri: or or timestamp one through 20 not many here, but just just to give us an idea.

Bass Masri: Of is there is there a relationship between the time taken to complete a call and the number of complaints so let's have a look at what we can find so first we might go to say graph and let's have a look at the scatter plot matrix.

Bass Masri: And we just put these two in.

Bass Masri: y column and heat Okay, and we get this nice little scatter plot.

Bass Masri: This sort of looks linear.

Bass Masri: So I might try and fit aligned.

Bass Masri: i'd like to know where all the dots if they grouped in any particular random patent or not, so I might sort of select non density point I can see, he.

Bass Masri: You know where where the data is grouped in it looks linear and looks correlated so maybe I can go to now analyze and fit why by X and.

Bass Masri: i'm going to put in the response, what do I put in the response so hopefully you're going to say complaints, because the the output, or the result is a complaint and the time to resolve is the factor, or the predictor so let's have a look at that and I can see it's a by variance.

Bass Masri: analysis which is this type of analysis so jump already knows what type of analysis, that is, and it will give us an output that's consistent with that, so I can maybe go up here and I can say, give me the summary statistics and here are the summary statistics.

Bass Masri: The average for both I can see the correlation coefficient here it's point nine and again let's see if this if this relationship is linear I can fit a line.

Bass Masri: Which is great, I can also fit that mean, you can see that five point, something which is the main here too.

Bass Masri: But you know what i'd like to know i'd like to see a confidence interval.

Bass Masri: For not not the main but the linear fit for confidence fit so there it is there.

Bass Masri: and also the confidence interval for the individual values or I can see that there.

Bass Masri: Let me just remove the me or remove that.

Bass Masri: OK, and now we've got a better view of.

Bass Masri: This linear relationship, and I can see it linear 95% of values fit within this the first dashed line, and you know I can even confidence.

Bass Masri: shade the shade that that looks a lot a lot nicer lot prettier i've got a good idea of where the main should be and i've got a good idea of where the value should be.

Bass Masri: And i've got here the function, the formula complaints equal minus four days, plus point seven two times the time, so if I get another time he say 31 or 32 I can work that out.

Bass Masri: And another way another nice way to do that is if I go so predicted.

Bass Masri: I can get to the scatter plot and here are the predicted and let's get some new values.

Bass Masri: Here I can post it.

Bass Masri: Post those values there let's say that values 22.

Bass Masri: yeah 22 and it says okay for 20 to expect to get this much this many complaints Okay, so I can use that predictive a and there's the formula see that's the same formula that we got.

Bass Masri: The other thing I like to do is i'll just delete that row I like to go to graph and go to profile.

Bass Masri: And I like to put that into the formula.

Bass Masri: And i've got this profile down and it's Nice and handy look I can I can move things around I can add a like a like a sense to do.

Bass Masri: indicator, or what I like about this is, I can now go file and get a save as, and I can save this as an interactive fall.

Bass Masri: And I can I can save that on my directory, and you know I can share that now, with the rest of the team with with my colleagues on might be in the the weekly meeting and I can say look guys, you know if we get if we get the times down to say 20.

Bass Masri: You know 20.

Bass Masri: minutes or something you know we can only get one complaint if the complaint if the time taken is 40 seconds, you know it's it's this much.

Bass Masri: Like 30 seconds okay it's it's we're going to get a complaint alright, so I can I can play around with that.

Bass Masri: 25 and so on.

Bass Masri: And that's interactive.

Bass Masri: So let's go back where was I go back to my home click on the journal right we're up to scatter plots and now we're going to go to one of the last things and I need to do this quickly because I need i've got one more job to do.

Bass Masri: So, which is.

Bass Masri: Now i've got time this is time to in minutes to resolve a call or complete a call.

Bass Masri: I want to know is my process, stable and control are my team completing the calls in a stable and in control manner, so I can just go analyze quality and process and go to control chart builder.

Bass Masri: i'm going to put time into he and all date stamp it with the the Item number and i'll remove the moving range just for visual visualization sake today.

Bass Masri: And you know what i'm keen on visualizing things so all chucking the zones in there as well, and my all even shade it to make it make it look Nice, and you can see, he was.

Bass Masri: What I do on monster hit redo I can just quickly do that again.

Bass Masri: excluded audience.

Bass Masri: Close that start again where Am I.

Bass Masri: Control charts.

Bass Masri: something's happened to you.

Bass Masri: Time has gone into this i'm just going to.

Bass Masri: delete that one.

Bass Masri: Okay we're going to go open another one open.

Bass Masri: magnificent seven and I just want.

Bass Masri: Control job import.

Bass Masri: So let's try that again and allies, quality and process control job builder.

Bass Masri: Time in he escalated audience he.

Bass Masri: Just remove that to visualization sake, and I want those in there as well, I just wanted to show you the tests.

Bass Masri: i've got he the first test for special causes on test one is unusual observation test two is.

Bass Masri: nine points above the main in a row or nine points below the main in a row and test three is six points in a row going up or six points in a row going down, and you can see, he this is.

Bass Masri: stable and control because there's not showing so that's my control chart so I can say yes, this process is stable in in control.

Bass Masri: But you know what.

Bass Masri: I have some specifications that the times for these calls should be answered within three and seven minutes so let's do that analysis and again I go quality.

Bass Masri: And process and go process capability and I put in here time and he okay and it's going to ask me what's my lower limit it's three minutes.

Bass Masri: While I pull him, it was seven minutes and my target was five minutes Okay, and if I go okay now, you can see my process capability chart and I can see the target, so it looks like we're pretty close to target.

Bass Masri: But i've got some calls that taken longer than seven minutes and i've got here my CP K.

Bass Masri: So the industry standard is that should be around about one or even 1.33 and i'm well below that so what that actually means is that i'm going to have about 6% of my calls that take longer than seven minutes so 6% doesn't sound long, but when we're paying our staff.

Bass Masri: You know, a high you know high salaries.

Bass Masri: You know the utilities, the office space and so on, that 6% can end up being millions and billions of dollars, so we need to improve that and tighten our process a little bit and improve the you know, with some training the time it takes to complete the calls.

Bass Masri: Which is great Okay, so, while you're while you guys are thinking about questions i'm going to.

Bass Masri: Go back to my job, my last job, which is just to take a look at this.

Bass Masri: text text analysis.

Bass Masri: And if I go to i've got a link here to consumer finance and if I go here to the website.

Bass Masri: Let me go to you to consumer finance, so this is a US website and.

Bass Masri: there's others for Australia, but you can go here and go to consumer education, you can go to the complaint starter base by clicking on this link.

Bass Masri: Or, I can go and view.

Bass Masri: The complaint data.

Bass Masri: just dismiss and I can search the data and you can see here i've got all different types of complaint data i'm going to change that to say.

Bass Masri: Make that one.

Bass Masri: i'll make that say one so first of January through, to say the 31st of January.

Bass Masri: Okay, and so I can I can sort of have a look.

Bass Masri: At a month's worth of data.

Bass Masri: And i'm interested in savings accounts so i'm going to here go here to select the savings accounts.

Bass Masri: And now i'm going to export this data so normally we get an export and we select our you know filter data set, and then we export the file into csv and then we open that data.

Bass Masri: and so on, and we try and import it in, and you know, and so on, but that's all a bit of a you know, a time waster there's extra steps he I can just copy this website and i'll just hit copy and now if I go back to jump.

Bass Masri: And i'm going to go to the home window i'm just going to go to file and open.

Bass Masri: Okay, so open is the normal way I open excel files and jump fall, but instead of fall and open i'm going to go to Internet open.

Bass Masri: And i'm just going to say web page is actually Google sheets here as well, but i'm going to get a web page and i'm just going to paste the web page and it's you know dad or text or the web page, but I know it's data and i'm just going to hit OK, and now it just opens and you workbook.

Bass Masri: table, and you can see here i've got 156 rows records and you'll see in this column here i've got the complaint data, the complaint narrative Okay, which is and some is redacted you know which is great.

Bass Masri: And this is only 156 but imagine if I had to go through all of these it'd be a pain to read you know each one of these.

Bass Masri: Each one of these texts, so we have this tool called text explorer so i'm going to go to text explorer and text and consumer complaint narrative and just chuck that into the text column.

Bass Masri: You asked me what the minimum words what the minimum word is and generally I just I just select for as a minimum number of characters you know I don't want Otto but to eat or.

Bass Masri: A as a word, I just want you know proper words or or words that i'm going to get some information out of so now I hit okay.

Bass Masri: And you can see it's given me all the words or terms, along with some phrases.

Bass Masri: And i've got here X X X which and i've got 804 of them that's not really helpful to me at that is stop word and get rid of that.

Bass Masri: Probably I know this is about savings accounts.

Bass Masri: So maybe I could add you know, a bank account and savings as well.

Bass Masri: As stop words.

Bass Masri: And i've got some phrases, maybe I want to add that phrase as well into my term list so now i've got you know some good term lists, but again it's a bit hard it's you know it's in a table, and you know it's a bit hard to judge the effect of all the different words.

Bass Masri: From this list from the complaint narratives, so why not just close that, why not show the word cloud so now i've got a word cloud I can color it.

Bass Masri: With arbitrary colors I can type A legend off because it doesn't tell us anything, maybe I can Center it and now i've got a nice little word cloud.

Bass Masri: And I can get a good understanding from those complaints tix people are worried about their money they told the staff, they told stuff about their funds they said stuff directly they might cause and phone calls They ran into check they did some checking.

Bass Masri: They deposited stuff Citibank and chase bank with some of the banks that weren't really happy about.

Bass Masri: You know they are stuff that wasted their time.

Bass Masri: And I got a good understanding just from that word cloud and again that's pretty sexy I can copy it and I can paste it into my PowerPoint or or or or save that as html on and share that with my colleagues.

Bass Masri: So that that's pretty good that is pretty good I really like that.

Bass Masri: But it would be great to know a little bit more what more can I know learn from this complaint data.

Bass Masri: And again, I can go to analyze and tabulate and, if not terribly analyze and texts explorer and and again if i've got jump pro this time.

Bass Masri: All I can say complaint.

Bass Masri: and

Bass Masri: It just hit OK, I won't worry about the words.

Bass Masri: or module just do stop words for this one, and to stop birds and maybe add that one to stop words.

Bass Masri: OK, so now, rather than a word cloud if i've got jump pro I can go to sentiment analysis.

Bass Masri: And it'll pass all the documents and what will give me.

Bass Masri: A little word cloud for sentiment and it gives me.

Bass Masri: All the problems, all the all the words.

Bass Masri: For good and bad purple is bad and orange is good, and I can I can actually I can go to this table, and I can sort by the highest count.

Bass Masri: So if I sort by the highest count, I can see problem is the highest one.

Bass Masri: But if I sort by score, for example, I can see.

Bass Masri: The best, and I can see, you know the best there was only two of those.

Bass Masri: and

Bass Masri: The worst one was worst and if I click on the word I can read the phrase, I can read the sentence and they were one of the worst ratings of complaints or backs are getting.

Bass Masri: impossible here all the phrases for impossible incompetent here all the complaints her in competent and so on, and if I get a problem you'll see there are 15.

Bass Masri: complaint tix where the word problem apiece so you know the word cloud is it handy it's pretty it's nice gives me a good idea.

Bass Masri: But if I want to fix things I want the sentiment analysis and I want the sentiment cloud, and again I can copy that and I can get a good idea of the sentiments of people.

Bass Masri: And if I like I can click on any of these and see what the corresponding words and phrases, so I really hope you were impressed with that session.

Bass Masri: On the seven quality tools, plus one, and now we're just going to summarize so while you guys thinking about questions for the last say 10 minutes or so i'll just make a quick summary and.

Bass Masri: I guess the summaries we after using the tools, you find a call times around targets we look for areas of improvement, including staff knowledge service access and confidentiality confidentiality, we saw those were the top three.

Bass Masri: we've got evidence to say that time taken to complete course.

Bass Masri: increases the number of complaints.

Bass Masri: We recommend.

Bass Masri: Staff training.

Bass Masri: Around confidentiality, we put in place some workflows and procedures to improve services and we we we put in statistical process control charts to monitor kpis and and we we use those to demonstrate that our processes are stable and in control going forward.

Bass Masri: So yeah any questions.

Bass Masri: Just a wall on summarizing great.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Yes, we do have a couple of questions I ran through them.

Gahyatthri Pandian: And more questions just pop the linear but six minutes before we end.

Gahyatthri Pandian: This one by ad.

Gahyatthri Pandian: Okay, please explain a bit more on SPC for prevention, not be the same.

Bass Masri: yeah yeah that's a good that's a good point so you know when we had the control charts and we said that there were test for special causes.

Bass Masri: So he i've got this control chart and we said that this process is actually stable and in control because there's no unusual observations and there's no.

Bass Masri: Trends or patents so, for example, if we had that test for special cause three on we could identify a patent going up and remember I said, we had a limit of say specification limit of, say, seven.

Bass Masri: seven minutes, so if we had 34567 you know you know minutes going up with time taken to go up, it would show us.

Bass Masri: that there was a patent or a trend happening of the time it takes to complete the calls, so we could address it before it went above the specification limit so that's why I say that it's a it's a strategy for prevention, because often you can see patterns.

Bass Masri: patterns occurring from the from the data from the test for special causes the other arm was say test for special causes to nine points above the main or nine points or below the mean so often.

Bass Masri: nine points in a row means that you know, things are not they're not normal they're not fluctuating up and down so something's happening why why I think it's taken more than the average more than the me Okay, but sometimes it could be good.

Bass Masri: You know, calls are being handled nine points in a row below the knee yeah Do you know what I mean so again, but that's a patent and that's a yeah.

Bass Masri: that's that's a trend that we want to identify circuitry charts are so important, and the only way to demonstrate your process is stable and control statistically is a control chart so.

Bass Masri: I highly recommend them for all process improvement teams and it doesn't have to be manufacturing doesn't have to be on the line doesn't have to you don't have to be an engineer a lot of financial services can use.

Bass Masri: or any professional services can use control charts to demonstrate your process is stable i'm in control.

Last Modified: Aug 23, 2021 8:35 PM