Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Using JMP for Analytic Problem Solving: A Real-World Case-Based Learning Experience (2021-US-EPO-860)

Anita Lee-Post, Professor, University of Kentucky
Ram Pakath, Professor, University of Kentucky

We created a real-world application use case to provide students with a case-based learning experience using JMP for analytic problem solving. The use case is concerned with acquiring, cleansing, and analyzing COVID vaccination-related data to help students generate analytics-based insights about COVID vaccine acceptance in the US and to better appreciate the value that analytics-based sense-making, insight-generation, and decision-making offers. Specifically, students perform cluster analysis, association rule analysis, and text mining in conjunction with one another. Results from cluster analysis can help answer questions such as whether there are geographical differences in attitudes towards vaccination and which locations need to increase efforts to overcome vaccine hesitation. Results from association rule analysis help reveal what level of attitude toward vaccination associates most strongly with vaccine uptake across locations and whether there are temporal differences in the associations. Results from text mining help identify words that are frequently used to describe the vaccination experience and help distinguish between positive and negative perceptions of the experience. Empirical evidence from student learning outcomes assessment lends credence to the effectiveness of using real-world use cases in analytic problem-solving pedagogy with JMP.

Auto-generated transcript...

Speaker

Transcript

Janice LeBeau, JMP Recording and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to be recording this and do I have your permission.
Anita Lee-Post Okay yeah.
Janice LeBeau, JMP You think I just have some stuff to go over with you need if that's good, then, if you have any questions and it's just my checklist here.
  I.
  can confirm your name company and your abstract title.
  Yes, Okay, so in your in easily and you do not have any co presenters okay and let's see here your.
  your microphone sounds good.
  that's good you did you make sure you silence your cell phone and computer.
  yeah yeah.
Anita Lee-Post Oh, this computer, but your advice Simon says.
  hmm.
  I'm not sure I'd be I just don't turn off the.
  Noise like my own.
  email.
Janice LeBeau, JMP yeah if they beings are things you while here yeah yeah you might see you don't get distracted and then I don't know if you have any heaters or well you wouldn't have a heater on right now.
  Okay.
  It says here set the presenters display to 1920 by 1080 I think you're.
  Right yeah.
  I.
Anita Lee-Post hope so.
Janice LeBeau, JMP OK, and then let's see here how presenter close outlook Skype in any other application applications that just right Okay, and then, just so you know this.
  was just as a reminder for you, whenever you go live with your presentation, would you just please introduce yourself.
Anita Lee-Post Oh yeah that's part of the deal so I'm trying to turn off the voice on this one too.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Okay, and that's.
  What we'll do is when you're ready to start presenting I'm going to mute myself and stop my video so there's no.
  So I don't distract you okay.
Anita Lee-Post So um am I going to just.
  share the screen or how is it going to.
  Yes, my PowerPoint.
Janice LeBeau, JMP you're going to share the screen.
Anita Lee-Post Okay.
Janice LeBeau, JMP And I'm going to be recording everything so you're not going to see me because.
  You don't need to see me right now, you can just go ahead and present share your screen I'll let you know if I can't see it and I'm going to mute myself and then, when, at the very end, when you say and that concludes for today or This concludes my presentation, then I'll get back on.
  Whatever works for you.
Anita Lee-Post And I think I may have to.
  Do couple takes messy.
  It too long, I don't know I tried to come here today.
  I.
Anita Lee-Post know so I don't know so maybe you can do some tricks to make the video better.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Well, you know.
  edit that so you know what just so you know I'm just as nervous, as you so we don't need to be nervous about anything we can do it over if anything happens okay.
  So don't.
  So I'm ready whenever you're ready, if you want to just go ahead and share your screen.
Anita Lee-Post Just so we we see.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Perfect I can see it.
  that's really good there that looks really good.
  whoops.
Anita Lee-Post Will you will you see the little um.
  What you called the zoom cast well, basically, is to be deal.
  On you on there, and this was me at the corner to on.
Janice LeBeau, JMP I don't know what you're saying I mean I see your screen right now, where it says discovery summit online and then you bet UK on the other side, but you had.
Anita Lee-Post No good so that means you don't see what I see on my screen, because on my screen, I see I see assumes I'm too little.
  image of the.
  people that are participating.
Janice LeBeau, JMP or.
Anita Lee-Post The video of us.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Right right so you're going to be I'm going to stop my video now.
Anita Lee-Post So basically I'm jealous I think isn't it true that dumb.
  Stupidity all the audience would not see my face basically it's just this pump in my man my voice in the background right.
Janice LeBeau, JMP they're going to see your face right now.
Anita Lee-Post Oh, they can.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Yes, they're going to be your face so you're going to talk and and you can just look at my picture on Can you see my picture now.
Anita Lee-Post Yes, I can.
Janice LeBeau, JMP yeah, but it makes you feel good like you're looking at somebody while you're talking.
  You know just look at my picture or actually if you look right into the camera and look at your presentation what it is as well, for you.
Anita Lee-Post Okay, so we'll try it.
  Thank you, bad we'll try it again.
Janice LeBeau, JMP Because they go in and Edit it for you to but we just.
  I'm going to go ahead and mute and then you start whenever you're comfortable okay.
  Okay I'll give you to do a great job.
  Okay I'm muting.
  Okay.
Anita Lee-Post Hello, and welcome to the
  2021 JMP Discovery
  Summit. My name is Anita Lee-Post. My presentation today is entitled
  Using
  A Real-World Case-Based Learning Experience, co-authored with my colleague, Dr Ron Pakath.
  Let me first give you some background on our experience in using JMP for analytic education.
  Back in the fall of 2019, we launched the Business Analytics...Business Analytics Minor Program at the University of Kentucky.
  The first course for that program is called an Introduction to Business Analytics, with a focus on analytic concepts and software skill development.
  JMP became our first choice of software, because it
  has capability aligned well with developing the kind of analytical...the analytic skill sets that we want, including data cleansing, visualization, and data mining.
  Since real-world case-based learning has been demonstrated to be effective in teaching and learning software skills, we create a number of cases that use COVID-19 pandemic as the application context to engage students to use JMP for analytic problem solving.
  The case we are presenting today is concerned with acquiring, cleansing, modifying, and analyzing COVID vaccination related data.
  Students are to perform cluster analysis, association rule analysis, and text mining
  to gain insights
  into various COVID vaccine-related issues.
  So, as we
  give you a little taste of
  what the
  JMP analysis entail, we can see that, from the cluster analysis, which based on data from
  Carnegie Mellon's COVID symptom survey using Facebook users as respondents.
  The data that we are especially interested in from their survey is the vaccine acceptance, which is measured by aggregating
  a daily count of the percent of respondents who would say they would definitely or probably choose the COVID vaccine if it's
  offered to them that day.
  So we use K means clustering to analyze the vaccine acceptance data from December 2020 to February 2021.
  The 50 states plus the District of Columbia, as shown in this geographic map,
  were grouped into three clusters.
  A high acceptance percent of 78% is indicated in blue.
  A lower acceptance, which would be
  66%,
  is indicated in red, and the green one is the medium acceptance, with a level of acceptance of 73%.
  Just from this very simple cluster analysis
  we were given the recommendation to focus on efforts to improve acceptance rate
  by targeting the red states, the red-color state in here which have a low vaccine acceptance.
  Then joining with the acceptance data, together with