cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Development of Predictive Single Event Latchup Model

Laurence Montagner, Principal Technology and Development Engineer, Microchip Technology Rousset

To address the new space market focused on cost reduction, the use of COTS (circuit on the shelves) products is a good option. To be compliant with space reliability, COTS must be evaluated and modified to meet space agency specifications, especially on Single Event Latchup (SEL). This effect occurs by the strike of a heavy ion on the circuit. The transmitted energy to the matter (LET) triggers the parasitic thyristor and induces the latchup. The SEL sensitivity is characterized by the LET threshold and the holding voltage criteria. Until now, to evaluate LET threshold, TCAD simulation and experimental tests were performed, but TCAD is time consuming and irradiation sessions are very expensive. An analytical model LET threshold is a solution to obtain a quick estimation at lower cost and could help to harden the product to radiation. JMP is well adapted to assist in building and analyzing the results of a design of experiment (DOE). Its profiler is adapted to find best combination of the inputs to meet LET threshold criteria.

Hello,  I  am  Laurence  Montagner.  I'm  working  for  Microchip Technology Rousset.  I  am  in   Aerospace  &  Defense  Group.  I'm  going  to  show  you  how  we  use  JMP  to  develop  a  predictive  single  event  latchup  model.

This  project,  called  SELEST,  started  four  years  ago  to  develop  an  internal  SEL  prediction  tool.  This  work  was  funded  by  the  CNES,  the  French  space  agency.  Two  posters  were  presented  at  RADECS  conferences  in  2019  and  2021.  In  the  first  poster,  it  was  a  new  approach  and  the  feasibility  of  using  an  analytical  model.  That's  what  we  are  talking  about  today  and  that's  how  I'm  going  to  present.   The  second  poster,  it  was  with  a  more  accurate  model  using  a  neural  network  approach.

The  context,  to  address  the  new  space  market  that's  been  low  cost,  that  means  that  our  circuits  are  going  to  be  launched  in  low  Earth  orbit.  We  are  going  to  reuse  COTS— circuits  on  the  shelves —to  make  them  radiation  tolerant  to  meet  space  agency  specifications.   We  need  to  analyze  a  lot  of  product  to  know  if  we  can  make  them   [inaudible 00:01:33]   tolerant.  W e  need  a  model  and  a  predictive  tool  to  gain  the  time  and  money  before  any  experimental  tests.

When  they  are  sent  in  space,  those  circuits  are  under  radiations.  We  have  several  source  of  radiations:  the  sun,  cosmic  rays,  and   Van Allen belts.  The  sun  and  cosmic  rays  emit  electron,  protons,  and  ions.  As  for   Van Allen belts,  the  inner  belts  emit  proton  and  the  outer  one  emits  electrons.  Those  particles,  when  they  strike  our  circuits,  causes  damages.

We  have  two  family  of  damages.  One,  the  TID— the   total ionizing dose—w e  don't  talk  about  it  today.  We  are  going  to  focus  on  SEE,   single event  effect.  We  are  going  to  focus  more  specifically  on   single event  latchup.  This   single event   latchup leads the   component  to  the  destruction.  That's  why  we  need  absolutely  to  predict  this  phenomenon.

The  mechanism  on  the  single  event  latchup  is  very  similar  to  the  electrical   latchup,  but  it  is  not  provoked  by  the  same  causes.  In  the  single  event   latchup,  this  is  when   heavy   ions is  striking  sensitive  devices  as inverters   [inaudible 00:03:33] .  In  the  worst  case,  it  is  striking  in  the  middle  of  these  devices,  and  it  triggered  a  parasitic thyristor,   composed  here  of  an  NPN  and  PNP   bipolars.

When  the  supply  of  the  circuit  is upper,  that's  the  Vhold  of  this  parasitic  thyristor.  At  that  time, the thyristor   is  still  on,  and  we  can  lead  to  destruction.  As  you  have  understood,  this  parameter  of   Vhold  is  very  important  for  us.

I  just  talked  about  energy,  the  energy  of  the  heavy   ions.  There  is  a  physical   quantity very  important,  and  is   criteria  of  a space  agency.  This  is  the  LET,  linear  energy  transfer.  This  is  amount  of  energy  lost  in  the  matter  by  unit  track  lengths.  For  ESA,  European  Space  Agency,  circuit  is  said  to  be  immune  to   latchup when  this  value  is  above  60   mega-electronvolts centimeters square  per  milligram.

Our  objective  is  to  be  able  to  predict  the  V hold  and  the   LET threshold  of  a  circuit, so  we  need  to  build  a  model.  We  use  TCAD   Sentaurus to  run  some  simulation  to  build  the  model  with  a  DOE.  For  the  DOE,  we  need  to  define  the input  and  outputs.  As  you  have   guessed  output,  V hold  and  LET threshold.  Regarding  input,  for  the  first  try,  we  decide  to  define  four  output,  two   from  the  process,  epi  thickness  and  epi do se,  and  two  from  the  design,  the  length  between  the  two   well of  the  test  structure  of  the  inverter,  and  the  length  between   the  top  and  the  well .

Keep  in  mind  that  if  the  Vhold  obtained  by  simulation  is  upper  of  the  supply  of  the  circuit,  at  that  time,  the  circuit  is  immune  to  SEL.  If  the  Vhold  is  inferior  to  the  supply  of  the  circuit  at  that  time,  it  is  possible  to  have  a  single  event  latchup,  and  we  are  very  interested  to  know  the   LET threshold.

In  the  flow,  we  are  going  to  build  a  DOE  with  JMP,  a  Full  Factorial  DOE.  We  are  going  to  input  this  DOE  in  the  TCAD  Sentaurus.  We  are  going  to  run  our  simulations.  We  are  going  to  take  the  output,   Vhold and  LET threshold.  We  put  all  results  and  input  in   JMP.  We  are  going  to  screen  data  and  build  a  model  with  JMP.

Now,  let's  go  to  a JMP  data  table  that  we  use  to  study  the  feasibility  of  using  an  analytical  model.  This  is  the  table  with  our  four  input  and  two  output  here,  and  the  full  DOE,  one  value  per  color.  To  input  here,  we  can  see  a  preview  of  what  we  have  in  each  distribution.  To  have  a  better  display  and  have  a  better  exploration  of  data,  I  begin  by  putting  distribution  of  input  and  output.  We  can  check  that  for  each  input,  we  have  the  same  number  at  each  value  in  each  input,  so  it  is  okay.

We  can  go  at  the  end,  and  we  can  see  that  for  the  output,  we  have  something  to  note  quickly,  that  the  V hold  is  inferior  to  the  supply  of  the  circuit,  which  is  1.95.  I  can  put  the  limit  on  the  graph.  We  can  have  a  single  event   latchup.  We  have  the  value   of the LET threshold in here.  What  we  see  that  some  value  are   upper that  100.  We  can  highlight  it  to  see  if  we  see  something  special  on  our  other  input.  We  can note  quickly  that  the  Body Ties  for  one  value,  whatever  other  input  value,  are  the  source  of   the LET  threshold   upper of 100.  If  we  can  see  upper  value  for  the  LET  threshold  upper  of  60,  there  is  not  the  same  effect,  maybe,  for  the  EpiThick.  With  this  first  analysis,  we  can  explore  our  data  and  have  an  idea  of  what  we  have.

Second  graph  to  be  plotted  for  this  analysis.  It's  a  very  interesting  plot.  Variability/A ttribute Gauge  chart.  We  are  going  to  plot  all  our  input  in   X,  and  in  Y,  our  output.  Now,  we  can  analyze  first  if  we  are  main  effect  or  interaction.  We  can  connect  cell  means,  and  we  can  see  that  there  is  maybe  a  problem  on  the  T CAD  results.

It  is  not  a  problem.  We  can  continue  our  analysis  and  study  to  know  if  it  is  feasible  or  not  to  have  the  analytic  model  because  it  is  just  one  dot,  but  we  must  note  what  happened  here.  We  saw  it  quickly  with  this kind of  graph.  If  there  is  a  problem  on  our  foot,  if  we  have  all  our  data  for  each  condition.  We  have  all  data,  but  this  one  is  to  be  analyzed.

As  for  the  Vhold,  there  is  no  problem  on  our  output.  We  can  see  that  what  we  know  of   the  physics,  that  when  the  spacing  between  the  two  wells  is  higher,  the  Vhold  is  increasing.  This  result  is  consistent.   If  we  see  at  the  BodyT ie,  the  Body Tie  is  increasing,  the  Vhold is  decreasing.  That's  what  we  know,  too.

Here  we  can  see  what  we  have  already  remarked  on  the  previous  analysis.  Here,  for  this  value  of  Body Tie,  for  the   LET threshold,  we  are  at  a  value  of  100  mega- electronvolt.  That's  what  we  already  noted.  We  have  a  trend  that  when  the  [inaudible 00:12:07]   is  increasing,  the   LET threshold is  increasing,  and  it  is  in  agree  what  we  know.  It  is  interesting.   We  can  say  that  with  this  graph  on  Vhold ,  we  have  a  main  effect  of  the   [inaudible 00:12:29] .

We  can  keep  the  same  graph,  same  analyzing,  but  by  changing  the  order  of  the  input.  Re call , better.  Remove  this  input,  recall,  and  we  can  have  the  graph.  What  we  can  see  on  this  graph,  this  representation,  by  just  changing  the  order  of  the  input,  that  the  EpiD ose,  for  some  value  of  other  input  have  no  effect  for  some  condition  here.  So  we  can  deduce  there  is  interaction  between  inputs.  For  LET threshold , an  interaction  slightly  here  and  no  effect  for  other  value.

Now,  we  have  checked,  we  have  no  problem  on  our  data.  We  have  seen  we  have  some  main  factors.  We  can,  by  curiosity,  use  another  tool.  It  is  a p artition  to  know  which  input  is  the  first  to  appear.  Then  on  the   LET threshold,  what  we  see,  so  Body Tie  first,  that's  what  we  have  seen,  and  the  EpiThick.  We  can  continue  by   [inaudible 00:14:24]  BodyT ie,  too.  Body Tie  is  very  important.  As  for   Vhold,  the  BodyT ie  is   important.  A fter  the  spacing is…

Now, we  have  a  more  accurate  idea  of  what  we  have  in  our  data,  we  can  go  and  build  our  model.  We  put  our  input.  I  don't  know  what  I  have  done.  I  remove our  input.  We  have  run  a  Full  Factorial DOE .  We  try  this  model.  We  put  our  output,  and  we  can  run  it.  We  can  run  the  model.  We  can  see  that  I  missed  something  here.  I  already  prepared  something.  Fit  Model,  EpiDose ,  Macros,  Full  Factorial.  Okay, run.  It's  better  now.  Or  is  something  wrong?

I  prefer  this  presentation  with  this  plot,  Actual  by  Predicted  Plot.  In  this  plot,  we  can  see  that  the  model  is  not  really  satisfying  because  we  have  a  lot  of  dots  far  from  the  red  area,  even  if  the  R-s quared  is  at  0.81,  it's not fully  satisfying.

For  the  Vhold,  we  have  the  same  remark.  We  can  have  a  look  at  the  Profiler.  The  Profiler  can  show  us  the  good  trend,  but  we  are  not  going  to  have  a  long  time  on  this.  We  are  going  to  look  at  another  model  to  know  if  we  can  have  an  accurate  model  than  this  one.  We  are  going  to  try  another  one.  Not  so  far.  We  are  going  to  take  our  input,  and  we'll  try  Response  Surface,  and our  output,  and we  run  it.  We  are  going   to  remove EpiDose  because  there  is  no  effect.

We  can  see  that  this  model  is  better,  the  R-s quare  is  better.  The  V hold  is  a  good  model.  Now,  we  have  a  look  at  the  Profiler.  The  Profiler, the trends  are  good  for  all  parameter.  We  note  that  there  is  maybe  something  to  do  because  we  see  in  this  part  of  the  curve,  the  LET threshold  value  are  upper,  and  it  is  not  in  agree  with  the  physics  and  what  we  know,  of  course.  As  I  have  already  said,  it  is  a  first  try.  We  need  to  work  and  work  as  we've  done  on  the  inputs  and  accuracy  of  the   LET threshold to  have  better  results  here.  You  can  see  now  in  the  EpiDose,  we  have  quite  no  variation,  a  little  variation  here.

However,  this kind of  graph  is  very  interesting  for  us  because  when  we  want  to  make a  radiation  tolerant  circuit,  we  can  use  it  to  help  us  by  given  a  set  of  value.  We  can  use  here  the  Desirability  Function.  Now,  we  are  going  to  set  our desirabilities.  Here,  we  want  to  be   upper than  60 as  a  criteria  of  ESA.  I  put  60,  80,  and  100,  match  target.  Here,  for  the  Vhold,  we  want  to  maximize  it.  I  put  this  value,  2, 2.05.  Now,  I'm  going  to  maximize  desirability .  Of  course,  it  works. And n ow, not.   Match  target.   Target .  Now,  maximize  this  desirability.  Now,  we  have  a  set  of  value  we  wish  because  here,  we  have  a  range  of  value  in  the  Body Ties here.  We  can  play  with  it.  Here,  we  can  play  here  with  the  spacing.

The  other  representation  and  the  tool  we  like  using  in  JMP  is  the  Contour  Profiler  with  some  fixed  parameter.  We  can  have  a  contour  plot  here.  If  you  want  to  change  a  design  value,  I  put  in  axis  the  Body Tie  and  the  Spacing _AC.  We  are  going  to  put  our  famous  value  of  60  for  the  LET,  the  Lo L imit  at  60.  To  have  a  LET  upper  than  60,  we  know  we  can  have  a  value  of  Body Tie  up  to,  if  we  take  the  cross  here,  about  6.5.  We  can  use  the  range  of   the  spacing.

This  tool,  this  representation,  is  very  interesting  for  us  to  make  our  product  radiation  tolerant.  This  is  not  the  last  model  we  implement,  but  I  can  show  you  that  in  the  red  triangle,  we  can  save  the  prediction  formula  in  the  table  so  that  after,  we  can  take  it  and  encapsulate  it  if  we  want.

Okay,  that's  all  for  me  on  JMP.  Let's  go  back  to  the  presentation.  With  this  method,  we  built  another  model,  this  one  using  a  neural  network.  The  prediction  obtained  with  this  model  was  compared  to a  experiment  on  circuit.  We  can  see  that  when  the  experiment  shows  there  is  no  single  event   latchup,  the  prediction  by  the  SELEST,  the  internal  tool,  said  the  same  thing,  there  is  no   latchup.

When  experimentally  there  is  a  latchup,  SELEST,  even  if  there  is  a  difference  between  experimental  and  prediction,  show  there  is  a  latchup.  For  us,  it  was  a  good  result.  Not  so  accurate.  That's  why  the  work  continue  on  this  model  to  have  an  accurate  model.  That's  why  we  continue  working  on  DOE.  We  do  it  per  technology  node  for  having  a  better  accuracy  of  this  model.  Okay,  thank  you  for  your  attention.