cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Registration open for Discovery Summit Europe. User Group Members benefit from a 25% discount with the code: DSEUgroup24
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Discussion on analytics advocacy

Discussion on analytics advocacy, exploring key questions around building a culture of analytics:

• What is the journey to increase data analysis?
  • What are the risks and rewards of adopting analytics best practices across an organization?
  • What are the best ways to support and enable colleagues in overcoming the analytics learning curve?

The discussion was also active in the chat: 

Jarmo Hirvonen (Murata) mentioned: luckily JMP doesn't require magic voodoo of statistics  to get started. get data, open graph builder, and start exploring.

Søren Pehrson (Haldor Topsøe) replied: You are so right, Jarmo!

Jonas Thorn (Ambu) on the barriers to data advocacy: I think the biggest issue is to say why should a company spend a lot of time accumulating data and analyzing it.

The system works as it is, so why change?

Just to accumulate data and spending time on the analysis can be time consuming and if the apparent use isn't very clear it can be difficult to convince that it is worth spending time on.

This is especially difficult if the interactions between parameters is unknown and that should be investigated first, or you don't exactly know if the analysis will find anything.

Søren Pehrson (Haldor Topsøe): To my experience: You need a friend in the management and then you have to spend time training scientist and production engineers using their data the optimal way.

Peter Hammersberg (Chalmers): I think the problem is deeper. We did a master thesis once that discovered that the concept of variation only reached two floors up. Above it was only decisions taken on averages. Watermelon KPIs: green on the outside, red inside. There is no common understanding of variation. It is too complex.

Søren Pehrson (Haldor Topsøe): Peter, I fully agree. Hence, the friend in the management!

0 REPLIES 0