cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Practice JMP using these webinar videos and resources. We hold live Mastering JMP Zoom webinars with Q&A most Fridays at 2 pm US Eastern Time. See the list and register. Local-language live Zoom webinars occur in the UK, Western Europe and Asia. See your country jmp.com/mastering site.

Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Specifying and Fitting Models

Learn about the variety of JMP linear modeling options. See the available Fit Model capabilities and learn when and how to use the ones that are most useful for continuous, categorical and/or complex data sets, where there may be more predictors than observations.

Comments

Any questions? I will do my best to answer them here! Thanks for joining

Ressel

Bookmarked. Thank you. Interesting that you went for PowerPoint. It took me 3 years until my first serious use of JMP journals as presentation platform. I have a feeling that great things are possible using journals, but it is sometimes extremely tedious ("frustrating") to assemble a presentation this way.

@Ressel , Journals are much easier to use not that the editor is incorporated.  Perhaps this video will help. Using Journals to Streamline Sharing Results with JMP Users 

Ressel

@gail_massari  thanks! Watching now.

Alfmfarb

Very good demo - are the sample files available?

It can be useful  to use good understandable data to demo and discuss possibilities with our new jmp-users at the site.

Hi @Alfmfarb , thanks for the comment! Here is a link to the files that I use. Data from Specifying and Fitting Models  

@Ressel - I want to be a master in making beautiful Journals but I am not there yet. Hence the short power point.... Hope you will forgive me Thanks for providing a link @gail_massari  

Ressel

@ChristianBille you are forgiven! I think you are doing a great job and hope you will be part of the community for as long as possible. My intention was not to point a finger, but to highlight that making JMP journals can be extremely tedious, especially if a quick & dirty presentation is needed. I watched the video linked by @gail_massari, but my impression is that this only scratches the surface. A few issues I am struggling with:

• not possible to drop tab pages from journal toolbar & arrange them next to each other (this has to be scripted:Journaling issues (Tab pages) ). (I am also wondering how to add new tab pages to an already established journal. Probably, this has to be accomplished by scripting, but I'll cross that bridge once I get there.)
  • once the tab pages are created by script, I find it impossible to move them relative to each other. As a result, one really has to think through how to arrange a journal, because it is not possible to change the relative position of tab pages later on (at least by drag and drop)
  • in Using Journals to Streamline Sharing Results with JMP Users one viewer pointed out the difficulty of dropping text boxes below and not within outline boxes. That question is definitely not satisfactorily answered, and this is an issue for panel boxes as well. So to achieve adding a text box below and not within a panel or outline box, one has to drop a new text box above the panel or outline box and rearrange everything by drag & drop (which is another painful process).
  • in general, my impression is that for every click with the selection tool (+) inside a journal one has to wait for half a second or so (all the while holding the mouse button down) before moving the mouse again and finding a new spot to drop the item into. Otherwise, one will just highlight more items than intended and a new selection has to be performed.
  • Depending on how a new text box is added, one has to type text blindly, because only a small section of the outline with the text is shown at any one time. Solution1: deselect the text box, maybe adjust wrap width, reselect box & start typing again. (Kind of time consuming...). Solution 2: Add text box via right click & add text item.
  • It is not possible to modify the font size of panel box titles via properties. I am wondering whether this is something that can be accessed at all in JMP 16 (have not yet upgraded but expect issue to persist...)
  • JMP journals can only be shared with a very elite circle of JMP users within my organization (5 pcs?), of which none are familiar with journals. So every graph or analysis that is requested by someone after a presentation has to be dropped into a PowerPoint, which increases the workload.
  • Borders & padding: At this time I have to adjust padding for each individual graph so the presentation does not become too crammed. What I initially (and stupidly) did was a "trick" picked up from someone else: Adding blank text fields to create spacing. Naturally, this caused a lot of issues when I decided to rearrange and insert new graphs.
  • Edit 28.Oct.'22: Most strangely, JMP journals cannot be attached to Community postings ("not a supported file format"... why?).
  • Edit 31.Oct.'22: It is not possible to create tables with freetext in JMP journals. Bullet lists are good, but tables are also useful quite often.
  • Edit 31.Oct.'22: Can't throw active GB graphs with Ctrl+J to where the cursor was/is blinking inside Journals. Everything seems to go to the end of the journal in JMP 16.2. (significant extra mouse & keyboard operations) 

And these are just the issues I have discovered while familiarizing with JMP journals over the last few days.

With that being said, last week I forced myself to create a one hour presentation by journaling. I think it took me 3-4 times as long as it would have taken using PowerPoint. Still, when I woke up the next day the very first feeling I had was one of pride and achievement.

Recommended Articles