cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

option to disable Sort by Column for a tablebox

I'd like the ability in JSL to disable Sort by Column for a tablebox.

Much of my current interest in this is driven by some problems with the sorting:

• Before JMP16.2 sorting the box will not sort colbox() content, leaving things mismatched.
  • In 16.2 the colbox() entries do sort and remain aligned with other columns but the numbering of the individual boxes does not change.
  • JMP can create a table box with some individual cell highlighting via <<getasreport but that highlighting does not move with use of Sort by Column as I commented here:make tablebox cells colorable - JMP User Community

But even if those were fixed I think there are situations where one might use tablebox to script a highly custom display of information that would be spoiled by sorting and want to prevent users from rearranging it. 

An example of that is a tablebox I'm making that has buttons in a colbox that I don't want to have move with the other col content. alternately if I put something like buttons outside the tablebox but lined up with the content and I did want it to align to particular content I'd need to know that the table got sorted and rearrange this other display box.  I have some other examples of that kind with things next to the table box that care about aligning to some of its content and therefore either want it to stay fixed or would need to know if it got rearranged.   I'm going to make another wish list item for the possibility of  setting a function that triggers on Sort by Column.

4 Comments
hardner
Level V

update:  I see the highlighting sort issue is fixed in latest JMP as well but not changing my wish to be able to disable the sorting

hardner
Level V

A colleague pointed out to me that you can actually override the menu users see that offers Sort by Column using <<SetContextMenuScript.  That really solves this wish.  It does not disable sorting, you can still do <<SortbyColumn via JSL which is actually better that what I was wishing for. Nice!

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Already Offered

@hardner I see you found a solution.  Changing status to update this item.  Thanks for your feedback!  

Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered