cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Variability Gauge: Add a "Fixed Effect" option in the Variance Component options

Good day: The Variance Components option within the Variability Gauge plot assumes all factors are random.  Often, it  is not the case that all factors are random; in this mixed model scenario, it would be big step forward for this platform if some factors could be designated as "fixed" so that only the random effects would have variance components associated with them.

Regards, Mark  

4 Comments
SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Needs Info

@MRB3855 thank you for the suggestion.  You could do the mixed model fit in Fit Model or Fit Mixed and get estimates of the variance components that way.  The JMP example data table machine.jmp in the the JMP sample data has saved scripts with examples of doing that.  

Including the fixed effects as random effects in Variability Gauge will give essentially the same estimates for the random effects variance components as you would get fitting the the mixed model.  

Can you explain more why being able to do this in the Variability Gauge Chart would be important to you?  

MRB3855
Super User

Hi Sam: Thanks for the quick response. I agree with everything you've said, and I often go to those other platforms as you describe. My desire for this "wish" has more to do with "one-stop-shopping"; perhaps I like the variable gauge plots (I do) and I also want to assess/compare/estimate fixed effects as well; in that case, it would be nice if I could go to one platform rather than cobble together results from multiple platforms. Indeed, my wish is a "nice to have" rather than a "got to have". Again, thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

Mark        

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

Thanks for the additional information.  We are looking into this and will get back to you soon.  

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Not Planned For Now

Given our current development priorities, we are moving this request to not planned for now.