cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

VI mode for script editor

It would be great to have an optional VI/VIM editing mode inside the JSL editor.

Doesn't necessarily need to have all the VIM bells and whistles -- just the command and insert modes, keystrokes and basic operations, and macros.

On a number of occasions I've found myself pasting script code into a GVIM window to manipulate the text, then pasting back to JSL.

I'm sure EMACS users would be interested in a similar editing mode.

2 Comments
jljmp
Level I

Agreed here. VI/VIM mode is really good for my ergonomics because I don't have to move my fingers around nearly as much to get the same things done. 

jljmp
Level I

If people are looking for a workaround, so far this method appears to be working for me on JMP Pro 17.

FIRST STEP: Make sure that JMP doesn't open multiple instances when you open the same file multiple times from file explorer: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Knowledge-Base/Problem-Note-52261-New-instance-of-JMP-is-opened-eac...

Next, in Windows Specific Settings, check the checkbox "JSL Scripts should be run only, not opened, when selected from Recent Files or a file browser".

Then, use your IDE of choice (in my case, VS Code, which has a vim bindings extension as well as an extension that adds JMP code highlighting support) to edit the file.

Then, for me, I configured the Code Runner extension to simply launch the file. Here's the relevant code in settings.json:

"code-runner.executorMap": {
    "jsl": "./$fileName"
},

So when I activate the Run Code shortcut, it launches the JSL script and instead of opening the file in the editor, it simply runs the script.