cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Set Visibility of Data Tables

What inspired this wish list request?

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

<<Visibility("private")

<<Visibility("invisible"/"hidden")

<<Visibility("visible")

Why is this idea important? 

5 Comments
mmarchandTSI
Level V

Another case of lost text, I see.  I'll try to remember what I put.

I like to use private tables to avoid table names popping in and out of the Window List or to keep people from meddling with certain data tables.  When troubleshooting a table I normally have private, I wanted to set it to private again.  I found <<Set Private in the scripting index, but it didn't work.  Even running the example didn't work.

I'd like to have simple messages to set data tables' visibility.  At a minimum, fix the <<Set Private message.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the <<Visibility display box message for data tables with a new "private" option.

This is just an ease of use improvement.

ErraticAttack
Level VI

Set Private does work -- it just doesn't get rid of the window or get rid of the entry from the HomeWindow's Table list, but it does make the table private and prevent it from appearing in the standard method of getting currently open data tables.

You could pair the Set Private command with a Show Window command, something like this?

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
Show( Get Data Table List() );
Wait( 1 );

dt << Show Window( 0 ) << Set Private; // make table private and not visible
Show( Get Data Table List() );

It appears as invisible in the Home Window list -- but it is private and double-clicking on it will bring it into view but it will still be private.

ErraticAttack_0-1686859458828.png

mmarchandTSI
Level V

I just saw your comment, @ErraticAttack.  I see I was mistaken, somewhat.  <<Set Private just adds a "private" flag to keep a table from appearing in the table list, it seems?  I'd like to be able to keep it out of the window list, as well.  I am sure that would take a lot more work on the back end than I realize, but a man can dream.

hogi
Level XI

A an alternative:

All commands which create a data table (open, subset, summary, concatenate, ...) have an option (..., Private ) to hide the table when it's generated.

That's not exactly what is requested here (i.e. making a table private AFTER it's generated) - but for 99% of the cases it's even better

What is actually missing is an invisible/private option for MFI: 
Private option for Import Multiple Files 
but is seems it will come soon:

Private tables with Multiple File Import function 

hardner
Level V

@mmarchandTSI , I think you are right and I have the same issue... the scripting index says <<set private will make it not visible as well as hidden from the data table list.

and it's weird that the private you get when create a private table would be different that what you get from << set private