cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Preserve Comments in column formulas

What inspired this wish list request? 

Losing information in column formulas when I'm troubleshooting or explaining a complex jsl is lost when things are commented out

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

It's important because I like to troubleshoot column formulas with show/print commands and i don't want to have to redo all that work every time if i save time/overhead by commenting out lines when they are not immediately needed

Why is this idea important? 

It's important because column formulas can become complex and it's important to have good tracking of what a formula does as well as being able to easily troubleshoot when time time arises.

10 Comments
nathan-clark
Level VI

.... ummm, i have no idea what happened here. All my text showed in the preview, but posted blank?

Ok, in short:

Losing information in column formulas when I'm troubleshooting or explaining a complex jsl is lost when things are commented out
It's important because I like to troubleshoot column formulas with show/print commands and i don't want to have to redo all that work every time if i save time/overhead by commenting out lines when they are not immediately needed
It's important because column formulas can become complex and it's important to have good tracking of what a formula does as well as being able to easily troubleshoot when time time arises.

Craige_Hales
Super User

@nathan-clark yes, lost text happened to me on a recent wish as well. I assumed I hit the wrong button, a gui issue perhaps, but...it was too easy to lose it.  @Ryan_Gilmore

nathan-clark
Level VI

@Craige_Hales Agreed... seems to be there now, so maybe it was never gone, I just couldn't see it 

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager

@nathan-clark, I edited your original post and added the text from your comment. 

nathan-clark
Level VI

@Jeff_Perkinson Thanks!

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Acknowledged

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: New

Hi @nathan-clark , thank you for this request. This has come up before. The basic problem is that we currently don't have a way store comments with formulas. 

It would be good to know how important this is to your and your organization, and to other JMP users, as this is likely a difficult problem to solve.

Craige_Hales
Super User

This sticks, but is very clumsy to write.This sticks, but is very clumsy to write.

nathan-clark
Level VI

@mia_stephens I would love to say that this is mission critical to the very fiber of my being, but it's more on the high annoyance list. Seems to me from a "jsl perspective" saving the comments should be easy. Clearly the implementation into formulas isn't a complete drag/drop, so I'm ok if this isn't top of mind. I am the only one at my company who I've noticed has really complained.

I also have a work around or two..... @Craige_Hales That also looks like an even better work around, especially if i want to maintain, but comment out print/show commands. My way was just creating a variable that I didn't use but had a string for the long comment i may want to make.

Thanks for taking a look though, and hopefully within a few versions there may be a better solution at your finger tips.

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Not Planned For Now

@nathan-clark given the discussion, @Craige_Hales workaround and current development priorities, we'll mark this as not planned for now but will revisit later.