cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

On Activate callback for New Window

What inspired this wish list request? 

When you click on a report various things happen including that a datatable associated with it may become current.  I recently experienced some cases where I would like a different data table to be current in that case but I can't currently specify anything to happen when a report is clicked on.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

An OnActivate ability for a new window that would be similar to OnClose, OnOpen or OnValidate.  This would be for when a window gets focus and comes to the top as happens when a user clicks the title bar.  JMP does things in this case and this OnActivate would happen after those things.  That way OnActivate could override what table JMP decided to make current and would generally have the last word on what happens.

Why is this idea important? 

The cases I noticed were for reports with live plots where more than one table was involved or where the tables involved were private tables that can't themselves be made current.  JMP support encouraged me to make this wish list request (case number below). Through my case with them I learned some of what JMP will do when a report is clicked on the upshot was that for complex reports with multiple tables involved it can be complicated and may be difficult to guarantee that it will make a particular choice.

I also think there may be other useful things one might want to do "OnActivate" (maybe there are displays that could be refreshed in that case for example, and it just seems like a logical extension of the available functions.