cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Number of Decimals Counter

What inspired this wish list request? 

I am trying to round some columns based on the number of decimals places in another column. 

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see a Number of Decimals counter

Why is this idea important? 

Other scripting languages have this function available. It is important to the situation to automatically round decimals to minimize human error when rounding values to put into tables in Word.

I have to use the Mod function within If() which does not account for all possibilities for rounding. 

dt3 << New Column("EAC", Numeric, "Continuous", Formula(If(:Delta > k_EAC_value, Round(k_EAC_value*:StdDev, if( or(mod(:LSL, 1) < 1, mod(:USL, 1) < 1), 1, 0) ) ) ) );

2 Comments
SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: New

This a problematic thing to define as a function, as numbers in JMP are stored a floating point values.  For instance, 10-9.8 = 0.1999999999 in floating point, even though in the data table it will display as 0.2.  I'm not aware of other functions like this in other software.  

In general it is probably better to define the decimal precision with a format, or with the Round() function. 

But, I am curious, what is the problem that this desired function solves?  

SamGardner_0-1699842152108.png

kachveder
Level III

I see what you mean. I am trying to round columns automatically based on the number of decimal places that are present in another column.