cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Multiple non-linear regression

What inspired this wish list request? 

I have some data that i'm trying to fit a non-linear formula to (in this case a power law), but i have variants generated at different process conditions, so there are multiple variables (in this case 2). Ideally i'd like to be able to generate an equation capable of predicting the outcome (y variable) as a function of the x variable and another 'process setting' variable. The graphs look like this when performing the non-linear regression, using the 'grouping' function:

JMPinthePool_0-1686653294209.png

I'd love if the software were capable of 'parameterising' the 'legend' variable - ie to be able to predict the y-value based on the current x-value and the current legend value. At the moment it just groups them, but this isn't as useful as it could be...

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I'd love if the software were capable of 'parameterising' the 'legend' variable - ie to be able to predict the y-value based on the current x-value and the current legend value. At the moment it just groups them, but this isn't as useful as it could be...

Why is this idea important? 

In engineering where i work there are numerous times where i'm faced with non-linear trends and data, where i don't know the underlying physics or the equations of the curves. It would be a huge advantage to be able to perform a 'multiple non-linear regression' on such data to be able to extract a predictive or descriptive capability.