cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Make adding and removing group by columns from quick formulas more intuitive

What inspired this wish list request? 

Removing all columns from quick columns can be unintuitive. Let's say you pick two columns to group by but then you wish to remove those. You will have to select EXACTLY those two columns to clear group by -> if you select any more those will be added to group by, if you select all columns old ones will be removed and new ones added. So you end up in this cycle where you are continuously right clicking on separate columns and checking which columns are still in group by.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see few possible changes.

1. Add new option "Clear Group By". This would remove all columns from the group by

2. Figure out how to make adding/removing columns more intuitive (add new buttons Add to Group, Remove From Group? instead of just having a toggle). Example follows:

I have Semiconductor Capability table open and I wish to create grouping column. First I think I need to have lot_id and wafer as my group columns, I select then and make them into the group. Then I remember that I have to include SITE to my group. I still have my lot_id and wafer selected so I just add SITE to selection and click group by

jthi_1-1718206312517.png

What I will end up with is just SITE in the group

jthi_2-1718206326702.png

And it can get even messier when you try to add more columns and finally try to clear them...

Why is this idea important? 

JMP is interactive tool and it should be easy to use as possible. Currently it feels like it is easier to just write formulas using JSL than interactive columns, especially if you happen to mess up with group by column selections even once.