cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Import multiple Excel files (xlsm, xlsx, xls, etc.) with same format and combine to 1 single file

Currently we can use "open multiple" to open multiple .csv Excel files with same format and combine to 1 single file, however, this function seems not applicable for other Excel format (xlsm, xlsx, xls, etc.). Besides, the import settings is also only applicable for .csv document. Can JMP make changes to support for all Excel document format?

ShawnZhang36_0-1658123259577.png

9 Comments
SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

It is possible to use Multiple File Import (File > Open Multiple on MacOS, and File > Import Multiple Files on Windows).  It will use the default preferences under the Preferences (File > Preferences on Windows, JMP>Preferences on MacOS).  

Can you share an example that describe the problem you have and the limitations you are seeing with Multiple File Import for excel files.  

Florent_M
Level III

Hi!

Thank you @ShawnZhang36, I have the same wish.

For the moment it is not possible to parameterize the excel import when doing a multiple import.

For example, JMP takes as header the first line automatically, without the possibility to define another line.

In my case, I have several xlsx files whose headers are on line 5. So I can't do the multiple import correctly.

The ideal would be to have an additional xlsx tab where you can make some basic settings.

RollingTire_0-1658917570678.png

Best regards,

mia_stephens
Staff

Thank you for this additional information @Florent_M

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Yes, Stay Tuned!

We are working on this new feature and plan to make it available in a future release of JMP.  

hogi
Level XI

I am a bit nervous because @Ryan_Gilmore just archived a similar request:
"Import Multiple Files..." improvement suggestion 

which options will be available?
- identify worksheet by name

- identify worksheet by number

- identify several worksheets

- row with header information

- data starts at row

DaveB
Staff

The goal was been to update Multiple File Import so there is a custom import settings panel for excel files that will contain most of the options in the Excel Import Wizard.  Some of the options in the wizard are for the preview pane so will not be applicable.  Worksheet names are the other important option supported by the wizard that might not be added to Multiple File Import.  A new column with the source worksheet name is planned which should help.  I think that it might be possible to add a text input field to allow manual entry of a list of worksheet names or names with the * and ? wildcard characters.  Is identifying by worksheet number a high priority or would a list of names with wildcards suffice? 

hogi
Level XI

@DaveB, a list of names with wildcards is wonderful.

Together with the alternative (=current) option to import the "first" worksheet: quite sufficient.

Such settings

hogi_0-1673184539871.png

will be available for MFI Excel import as well?

DaveB
Staff

Yes, the plan is for those settings (has headers, first header line,...) to be available and they should be in the first EA for 18.0 when it is released.  We will try to get the worksheet names into a later EA.

JMPinthePool
Level III

Could we not have a preview pane for multiple file import (especially for excel files) showing the first file selected/in the list? It's highly likely that the files selected for multiple file import will be consistent format, but that format is usually defined by equipment vendors, and varies from instrument to instrument. So like @Florent_M, it would be great if we could define start/end rows and columns and sheets for the data we want to import and ideally stack.