cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Give us (scripters) a way to prevent reports from being snapshotted when scripting

What inspired this wish list request?

Writing scripts and finally this post How to supress script dump in log upon closing a chart? 

What is the improvement you would like to see?

1. Message / argument to prevent report snapshot from single report

I would like to see a message we can use to prevent a platform from being recorded when it is being closed which we could use when scripting. The message could be something similar as the preference we have

<< Report Snapshot On Close(0)

and of course it should be possible to use this as an argument in JMP Platforms.

2. A function which would change how snapshot behaves in current script

Being able to disable all snapshots created from a script could also be useful. The setting could work in similar manner as Names Default To Here(1); and maybe it could be called something like

Disable Snapshot On Close(1);

Why is this idea important? 

When writing and using custom scripts it can get quite annoying when your log is being spammed with report snapshots. This can be already prevented by modifying preferences but I would like to keep preferences as they are as I like that snapshots are saved when I'm using JMP interactively and just prevent these snapshots from my scripts. There is also at least one workaround which works from time to time but this is very clunky to start adding to every report

Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

nw = New Window("", gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Variables(X(:weight), Y(:height), Overlay(:sex)),
	Elements(Points(X, Y, Legend(9)), Line Of Fit(X, Y, Legend(11)))
));
nw << on close(
	gb << close window;
);

1 Comment
hardner
Level V

I'm still looking into this but maybe seeing some significant speed issues involved with this logging for certain reports.

Strongly agree with wanting to be able to avoid it without altering the preferences of script users.