cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Enable python as an alternative to JSL

I hope this isn't taken as a form of blasphemy, but it would be very nice if users could write JMP scripts in python in addition to JSL.

There would be an implied "import jmp"-type statement, and then users could do things like this:

dt = jmp.getCurrentTable()

dt2 = jmp.newTable()

aRow = dt.row(5)

aCol = dt.col(3)

aCell = str( dt.cell(5,3) )

dt2.cell(1,1) = aCell

newCol = dt2.newCol()

newCol.formula=':Column(1)*pi()/180'

dt.graphBuilder( size=(800,600), x=dt.colByName('time'), y=dt.col(3), overlay=dt.col(7), colSwitcher(dt.col(3)))

5 Comments
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
BHarris
Level VI

JSL is very difficult to learn.  It doesn't act like modern scripting languages (python, perl, javascript), and learning it buys someone like me very little because it doesn't translate anywhere else.

I hope someday this idea gets some traction, it would be a game changer for JMP users like me.

BHarris
Level VI

@Ryan_Gilmore :  I just saw today's blog post on JMP v18's implementation of python, and it looks like almost exactly what I was hoping for with this request!  Not sure what caused the change of direction, but I'm very excited about it!

mia_stephens
Staff

We're so glad to hear this @BHarris , thanks for the feedback and for sharing your excitement! This new Python integration was added in JMP 18, in part, thanks to feedback from users like you!

(Marking this request as delivered.)

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Delivered