cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Connection to Tableau data source

I am not sure if this applies to the vast community, but our company uses Tableau extensively and have many Tableau data sources.

It would great if we can connect a tableau data source as source instead of connecting directly to a server/database. It is useful for people in bigger corporations/ lower level analysts who cannot have access to the DBs directly but can use an existing tableau data source for analysis in JMP. 

7 Comments
bryan_boone
Staff

Mohit_M,

Although I haven't tried it yet with Tableau, there appears to be a REST Api for the Tableau Server.

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/rest_api/en-us/help.htm#REST/rest_api.htm

JMP 14 has a JSL HTTP Request object that could help access your Tableau data.

I have used HTTP Request to connect to a wide variety of REST Api sources.

It may be more involved than what you are looking to do, but you might try it out.

Thanks

Bryan

aronwilson
Level II

With Tableau's release of the new Prep tool, I think this would be even more helpful because now there are fairly good ETL functions for Tableau and connecting to those with JMP would be a fantastic bridge.

Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
StarfruitBob
Level VI

@Ryan_Gilmore, I'd like to +1 this!  JMP connecting to Tableau dashboards / other data sources would be fantastic!

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi, thank you for letting us know this request is still important @StarfruitBob  @Mohit_M! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

StarfruitBob
Level VI

@Sarah-Sylvestre, is there any update from JMP on the consideration of this request?

@StarfruitBob Not at this time, but it is currently under consideration for a future version of JMP. We will update the status if there is a change.