cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Confidence intervals for individual slopes

In an unequal slopes ANCOVA model the individual slopes can be estimated with the Estimates > Custom test or Estimates > Compare slopes option in the output for Fit model. Standard errors and p-values are also given but I miss confidence intervals for the slopes. This should also be possible if additional random effects are added to the model (a mixed model).

5 Comments
kayleewarren
Staff
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@StefanC Thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

@StefanC this is an interesting idea.  Can you provide some additional details on what type of problem you would use this for and why it is important to you?  A data example of where you would like to do this would also be helpful.  

StefanC
Level III

@SamGardner Thank you for considering my suggestion. It would be useful for analysing stability data where a common slope across batches cannot be assumed. In this case the individual slope estimates including confidence intervals would be of great interest to estimate the worst case degradation. I am aware of the degradation platform but to my knowledge it does not give confidence intervals? Also, sometimes you want to include a random effect to the model, like an assay effect for example.  

SamGardner
Staff

Using the sample data file Stability.JMP, if you fit the ANCOVA model, you get this output

SamGardner_0-1689772679058.png

If you right click on the Parameter Estimates Table, you can turn on the display of the confidence intervals for the estimates, which includes the individual slopes

SamGardner_1-1689772810892.png

SamGardner_2-1689772824240.png

You can also do this if you include random effects in both Fit Least Squares and in JMP Pro's Fit Mixed platform.  

SamGardner_3-1689773210977.png

Degradation > Stability Test does not show confidence intervals for the parameter estimates, but you can now use the pooled MSE (in v17) for the stability predictions and for the ICH shelf-life calculations.

StefanC
Level III

Thanks, but that is not quite what I am looking for. In order to get the individual slope estimates, you need to add the parameter estimate of Time to the parameter estimate of Batch*Time which can be done with the Estimates > Custom Test option

StefanC_0-1689835230794.png

It would be nice to be able to include confidence intervals of the estimate to the output. In this simple case I should be able to calculate the confidence intervals myself from the Std error and degrees of freedom but it is still inconvenient. My version of JMP is 16.0.