cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Column headers with sparklines

I really like the new feature in JMP 15 showing the distributions below the headers. Yet, for time series (sensor data), distributions are not enough.

It will be great if we can also add spark-lines (Excel and many other software have them).

image.png

13 Comments
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
FN
Level VI

JMP 17 is natively connecting to PI systems, sensor data needs this functionality in the header. Again, you can do this in Excel and more adv. stat software.

jszarka
Level IV

I do agree that sparklines representing a time series would have some value and is a nice partner with the histograms. Having too many options for Header Graphs could be cumbersome, though as well.

FN
Level VI

For sensor data, a histogram can be very misleading (e.g., oscillations can be perceived as gaussian noise). I think having the option to either show the histogram and/or sparklines will be enough. JMP competitors have had this option for years.

Status changed to: Investigating

Thank you for letting us know this request is still important to you! I have reopened this and we are currently investigating this for potential inclusion in a future release. 

Status changed to: Yes, Stay Tuned!

Hi @FN, development is currently working on this, and we hope for it to be included in the next major release of JMP! Be on the lookout.

FN
Level VI

Awesome.

dale_lehman
Level VII

I will be happy to see this feature as well.  But I think it is misleading to say that Excel and other packages have this capability.  I can't speak to the other packages, but to do this in Excel, you need to create the sparklines - they don't appear automatically for columns or rows the way that the distributions appear in JMP for each column.  You can create sparklines in Graph Builder just as you can create them in other software.  We are talking about automatic creation for variables in a data set - I'd imagine that this will require some kind of dialog to instruct JMP to use a particular column as a time variable or use the row order as time.  Again, I would like to see this feature, but I think the characterization of this being available in other software but not in JMP, is unfair.

FN
Level VI

A good default for the index can be the row number.

In addition, JMP already has the ability to define a column as X or Y variable. Having a new column property called "sparkline index" will allow users to define a different one.

This will be very useful for functional data as well (e.g., batch process data such as the fermentation example as a function of time, or spectroscopy data as a function of wavelength).

FN
Level VI

HI @Sarah-Sylvestre, I guess we'll have to wait until JMP 19? I haven't found this option highlighted in JMP 18.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It is a great implementation, perhaps only missing interactivity with row selections.

>>> Right-click on the header, then Chart type, then Run Chart.