cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Changing a label should show in the Log

What inspired this wish list request? 

When automating repetitive work I often manually perform the steps and check the Log to see what the equivalent JSL is.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see the Log show the equivalent JSL message when I change an axis label name. 

Why is this idea important? 

This will allow users to automate and write JSL without google searching.

1 Comment
hogi
Level XI

Unfortunately, Jmp doesn't record such intermediate steps. I agree, this is great to keep the enhanced log short and slim

- but it makes it impossible to learn such "tricks" from the enhanced log.

At the moment, there is a workaround - but with some limitations:

Get the code for the intermediate step as part of the final script of the report, e.g via the Save Script menu:

hogi_0-1717178935942.png

The problem: the manual change is coded via SendToReport & Dispatch - and talking about good JSL code, SendToReport & Dispatch are not intended to be used directly for your own code:

@Mark_Bailey wrote:

The Send to Report and Dispatch arguments in your example are intended to for JMP to be able to save a script that will reproduce the current platform as completely as possible. They are not intended for us to write scripts. A lot of people use them and that is their choice, but that is not the intention. The information about them is missing from the documentation (i.e., they are undocumented) because we should use other ways of directly communicating with the objects in the report layer. For example, send the << Add Ref Line(---) message to the axis box.
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/JMP-Script-Dispatch-Function/m-p/256386/highlight/true#M503... 

So, a JSL scripter has the problem:
How to convert *) a code that IS saved by the enhanced log, like

SendToReport( Dispatch( {}, "X title", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "new" )} ) )

...to a code which should be used for scripting?

*) convert: Could JMP do it for us?

right click on the raw code, click on convert -  and Jmp will produce  

current report()[TextEditBox(3 /* ?!??! */)]<< Set Text( "new" )

[... or hopefully something more robust]