cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Avoiding complete shutdown while not responding

As an user, running JMP since version 9 and upgrading to JMPPRO some years ago, I'm always disapointed to shut down JMP complet while some - possible erroneous - big calculations are done and the programm is not responding and I have the urge to stop the software performing my false commands. A possibility to safe the last modifications in the opened data table would be realy helpful. As the session log was introduced with version 17, I wonder if that might be feasible using this new, wonderful feature. Or to introduce somethimg like a configurable "auto safe" in order not to loos to many modifications/ steps.

5 Comments
ErraticAttack
Level VI

I also am very much disappointed that in 2022 (nearly 2023!!) JMP is still single-threaded.  JMP Dev Team -- use multiple threads!!  One thread for GUI + Windows API calls, multiple other threads for performing calculations, including running JSL scripts and such.

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @egon_gross , thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

hogi
Level XI

Most of the time it's my own code which make the trouble.

Therefore, Autosave before run, is my best friend.

Unfortunately, in Application Builder this setting is not used.

Therefore I have to save the application on my own before I try to freeze Jmp with my next programming error ....

hogi_0-1670426876848.png

jthi
Super User

@hogi I'm not sure if FileSnapper works with Application Builder but might be worth testing?

There is also this wish list item (by me)Script Editor - Add possibility to save script before run to temporary file which could save same headache. I have made suggestion (not with Wish list, maybe I will post those suggestion here too) that Workflow could be automatically (maybe set in Preferences) built on the background and if JMP were to crash user could easily rerun workflow to get back where he/she was (of course this won't work with scripts and only with actions which are recorded in Action Recorder).

Status changed to: Investigating

Thank you for all the discussion everyone! We are currently looking into this.