cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Allow secondary or alternate column names

Store alternate column names or attributes, be able to switch between those names in platforms and the data table, and easily view those names while hovering over the column name or points.

While moving through exploratory, modeling, and presentation phases of work it is helpful to name columns differently, for example depending on the audience and context a column could be represented as any of the following or more.  

• Unit98765.Tag12345.SP
  • Feed Flow Controller Set Point
  • Feed Flow Controller Set Point (Unit98765.Tag12345.SP)
  • Feed Flow Controller Set Point (m3/s)

Especially while working in JMP with an audience (for example answering questions with ad-hoc analyses during a presentation) it is helpful to have as much info about columns accessible with as few clicks as possible, but these tools could speed up work for all users.   Common places this would be handy include these activities for data tables with hundreds or thousands of columns:

• Search for columns when picking columns in graph builder, and verify the correct column was picked
  • Default names in graph builder
  • Column contribution, variable importance, and similar tables
10 Comments
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @ih! I am curious if using name-label pairs would help fulfill this wish? If you read the documentation on the Show Alternate Column Name preference, it will give you information on how to use this feature. I don't think it provides everything you have asked for but please let me know if it is helpful. 

ih
Super User (Alumni)
Super User (Alumni)

Not quite.  Although that will put a more descriptive name next to the column name in some places, I really want the default label in charts and graphs to be more useful.  For example for some audiences these labels should say 'The Sepal Length', for others 'Sepal Length (cm)', and 'Measurement34' for a differnet group.

ih_0-1697217557824.png

Status changed to: Investigating

Oh, I see! Thank you for the information @ih 

hogi
Level XI

Really great suggestion - will lead to a significant improvement

ehchandlerjr
Level V

I would like to heartily third this suggestion. However, if you are going to include symbols for some contexts, then there should be added functionality to handle any arbitrary superscripting and subscripting in the symbols used. As an example, the formal notation for the atomic weight of an isotope published by NIST is in the picture below. Maybe this is a separate request, but allowing non-numeric superscripts and subscripts in the four corners around another letter or number would enhance the readability of any symbol functionality that's added for this request.

ehchandler_0-1707511231025.png

hogi
Level XI

New in Jmp18:
When a data table is generated from an Excel file, an Update Table Script is added automatically.

wonderful

This new functionality will get even more useful if Jmp allows secondary column names - then the user doesn't have to choose between meaningful column names and column names compatible to the source file.

markschahl
Level V

YES PLEASE!!! See my post on related subject.

hogi
Level XI

hogi_0-1710751525195.png

hogi
Level XI

@Jonas_Rinne , good example:
"UI improvement" with huge potential - collecting Kudos for almost 4 years now
Understandably out of focus of GraphBuilder, DOE or SPC DEV team.