cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LP Solver
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Did you know that JMP has an LP Solver?  Linear programming (LP) is a technique for optimising a function subject to a set of linear constraints.  [See here for the Wiki description of linear programming].

The solver takes the form of a function called LPSolve.  This can be quite tricky to use, so I wrote a front-end to make the functionality more accessible:

10614_lpsolver.png

The problem specification can also be loaded from a text file or entered using a text editor:

10613_lpsolver-2.PNG

This is a project that has gone from work-in-progress to on-hold for sometime now so I'm posting the code in good faith on an as-is basis.  The code illustrates how to use the LPSolve function and also how to use pattern matching to parse elements of the problem specification.

Attached is a journal file that launches the script (the code is embedded in the run button) together with a sample text file containing a problem specification.  The front-end also has a couple of demo buttons that will load some content to illustrate how problems should be specified.

Comments
dsianita

Do you have another front-end that can handle more than 2 decision variables?

@dsianita it's not limited to 2 decision variables.  I just used 'x' and 'y' as a simple example.

FN

The profiler can optimize the desirability. Is this interface available as well? Would it solve NLP or MILP problems?

No the profiler interface isn't available as well - I assume you would just use the profiler natively if you have a desirability function that you want to optimise.  This was just an illustration of deploying the LPSOLVE function to solve classical types of LP problem articulated as an objective function and a set of linear constraints.  It wouldn't handle nonlinear or integer programming.

Raaed

great job